Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Pistol Bought of state (years ago) now living in Michigan

Hi Everyone,

While living in Texas I purchased a Ruger Mark III (and some other guns I no longer own) for target shooting (the stainless model). I have not shot it in some years.

I did some research a few years back and read I have to register it within 30 days of moving back to Michigan. I got back around to this topic again because I am looking at buying another handgun.

Now when I research if I need to register this out of state purchase from 25 years ago, I do not see anything around about this 30 day rule, and a bit confused on what I have to do.

Here is what I read so far, and not clear on what next steps to take.

1. It seems like if I get a CCL in Michigan I do not have to be concerned about registering the Mark III?
    2. If I do not get a CCL I saw something on Michigan gov website that I have to fill out a Form RI-060? If this is case and I need to put in a FFL from where I bought it, I do not have any details (it was over 25 years ago) and in Texas all you need a driver lic and you can buy anything and not register at all.

I would appreciate any input regarding how to go about registering my Mark III (if I have to) or if a CCL will cover me so that I can use it at a shooting range.

Thank you!

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRiker View Post
    Hi Everyone,

While living in Texas I purchased a Ruger Mark III (and some other guns I no longer own) for target shooting (the stainless model). I have not shot it in some years.

I did some research a few years back and read I have to register it within 30 days of moving back to Michigan. I got back around to this topic again because I am looking at buying another handgun.

Now when I research if I need to register this out of state purchase from 25 years ago, I do not see anything around about this 30 day rule, and a bit confused on what I have to do.

Here is what I read so far, and not clear on what next steps to take.

1. It seems like if I get a CCL in Michigan I do not have to be concerned about registering the Mark III?
    2. If I do not get a CCL I saw something on Michigan gov website that I have to fill out a Form RI-060? If this is case and I need to put in a FFL from where I bought it, I do not have any details (it was over 25 years ago) and in Texas all you need a driver lic and you can buy anything and not register at all.

I would appreciate any input regarding how to go about registering my Mark III (if I have to) or if a CCL will cover me so that I can use it at a shooting range.

Thank you!
    By "CCL", I am assuming you mean a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). If so, having a Michigan CPL does not exempt you from "registering" the handgun in Michigan.

If you have a valid CPL (or equivalent) from another state, then there is an exemption in Michigan law that would apply.

Otherwise, even though there is no means of registering when applying the letter of the law, the Michigan State Police (MSP) will instruct you to fill-out a RI-060, putting your name as both the "buyer" and the "seller" (technically, you are neither). Aside from that, you only fill-out the fields that apply (it is a multi-use form), so you skip the FFL section since that does not apply to this transaction.

The penalty for not "registering" a pistol in the allotted time is a $250 civil infraction (a ticket, not a criminal offense). The penalty for submitting false information on the RI-060 is a felony offense.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    By "CCL", I am assuming you mean a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). If so, having a Michigan CPL does not exempt you from "registering" the handgun in Michigan.

If you have a valid CPL (or equivalent) from another state, then there is an exemption in Michigan law that would apply.

Otherwise, even though there is no means of registering when applying the letter of the law, the Michigan State Police (MSP) will instruct you to fill-out a RI-060, putting your name as both the "buyer" and the "seller" (technically, you are neither). Aside from that, you only fill-out the fields that apply (it is a multi-use form), so you skip the FFL section since that does not apply to this transaction.

The penalty for not "registering" a pistol in the allotted time is a $250 civil infraction (a ticket, not a criminal offense). The penalty for submitting false information on the RI-060 is a felony offense.
    This.

They are a sales transaction record, not a registry. Your sale didn't take place in Michigan, therefore a sales transaction record can't occur.

You can look into getting an out of state CPL from states like Arizona or New Hampshire. The way the Michigan law is written is if you are licensed to carry by another state you are exempt from turning in RI60s on purchases within the state.