Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Firearms still in my name i no longer own

Question for those who may know, but i had my name ran to see what firearms (Handguns) show in my ownership, i have a TON i have sold or traded over the years dating back to 2010. why are they still showing in my name 2-10 years after selling them? did the person never register them?

Michigan does not have handgun registration per se. What we complete with the RI-60 or PTP is a sales record. Look at the top of one that you still have. It really is registration but they won't admit it. Any handgun that you have purchased and turned in an RI-60 or PTP on will remain attached to your name "forever". No matter how many people purchase that handgun after you and obey the law, your name will always be attached to is as one individual who purchased it. I'd hate to see how many are associated with my name. No biggy in my opinion.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

The record isn't very accurate, and that's a beautiful thing. A heavily inaccurate record system is much farther away from a useful tool in taking your property.

I'd love to see RI60's go away, but I'm happy it's a very poor system of registration at least.

I spoke with the head of MSPs firearm division several years ago. He estimated that half of handgun transfers in Michigan were unreported/unregistered. The registry is nearly useless.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

MGO Member
    as CircuitRider stated they never fall off of your record. Simply there would be a newer dated form tied to that serial number (in theory assuming it was turned in). This is why we always recommend keeping the seller portion for your records.

Terrible system as others have stated.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotWholesale View Post
    This is why we always recommend keeping the seller portion for your records.
    I'm curious, why is it recommended to keep the seller copy of the RI060? I'm not aware of any legal burden for a seller to have to keep that or show it upon request for any reason.

I am a Forum User
    You're not required to keep it. But if the next owner doesn't register it, and it's found to be used in a crime they would come to you as the last registered owner. Being able to show them the RI-060 would be a quick way to show its no longer your pistol.

At least that's the reasoning I have heard many times.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1610 View Post
    Question for those who may know, but i had my name ran to see what firearms (Handguns) show in my ownership, i have a TON i have sold or traded over the years dating back to 2010. why are they still showing in my name 2-10 years after selling them? did the person never register them?
    If you are the last one of record on a gun then someday you just might just get a phone call from a distant police department telling you you to come pick your gun up. This happened to a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
    You're not required to keep it. But if the next owner doesn't register it, and it's found to be used in a crime they would come to you as the last registered owner. Being able to show them the RI-060 would be a quick way to show its no longer your pistol.

At least that's the reasoning I have heard many times.
    I would have assumed a simple 'I sold that pistol 4 years ago. I do not know the current owners name or whearabouts." could accomplish the exact same thing. And with them knowing their system is hot garbage, I imagine the shown "last registered owner" is circumstantial at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1610 View Post
    I am assuming by "had your name ran" you mean a RI-147.
    In that case, it won't show you who it was transferred to or even if it was transferred - just that it is listed on your "record" as being associated with YOU at some point.
    It's as simple as that. It certainly won't show you the name of the person it is currently registered (I use that term very loosely) to - that's a whole can of worms we don't even need to open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast