Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hornady availability

I recently picked up a new scope and found the Hornady SST SPF .30-06 to be an exact match ballistically, and fits my needs. I remember seeing it all over pre covid, but in a recent search, it’s unavailable everywhere.

Does Hornady run the Superperformance line in production cycles? Or are they backing off of the line all together?

I’m fairly bummed out I found a perfect match for a production cartridge and a BDC, but can’t find it anywhere. I could try to reload myself and attempt to match it ballistically, but the SPF line is some pretty hot stuff and would be at max load with one specific powder to make it work…..if I don’t encounter overpressure symptoms before I get there.

Yep, the SPF line is run in batches. It's more of a (non-match) top tier Hornady load, so the cheaper stuff like american whitetail makes more runs.
    Most likely due to the "special blend" proprietary mix of powders.
    It may just be cost prohibitive to run them out the door like pre-COVID days. I'm sure they could pump out a ton of them but if they're sitting on the shelves at $5 per round collecting dust - there's probably not enough inventory moving to support more production run orders (collectively).

Definitely not discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Yep, the SPF line is run in batches. It's more of a (non-match) top tier Hornady load, so the cheaper stuff like american whitetail makes more runs.
    Most likely due to the "special blend" proprietary mix of powders.
    It may just be cost prohibitive to run them out the door like pre-COVID days. I'm sure they could pump out a ton of them but if they're sitting on the shelves at $5 per round collecting dust - there's probably not enough inventory moving to support more production run orders (collectively).

Definitely not discontinued.

That’s a good sign. I’ve exhausted just about every trustworthy website, guess it’s time to start hunting some actual stores.

It definitely costs more than pre 2019, this .30-06 is listed for around $2.50-$3/ rnd in the last places that had stock. Definitely not the first choice for the average 100 yard shooter, but I’ve always been a fan of the SST bullet, and at nearly 3000 fps in 165gr it zips right along.

I believe I read somewhere that “Superformance” powder was released in answer to requests on load data that would replicate the Superformance ammunition Hornady was manufacturing. The powder is supposed to be the same as used in one of Hornadies ammo offering, but I’ve never heard exactly which cartridge it was used in.
    You might call Hornady and talk to their tech and see if he can help you or offer a idea of where you might find a supply of that particular loading or one that will also mimic the load ou want
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that “Superformance” powder was released in answer to requests on load data that would replicate the Superformance ammunition Hornady was manufacturing. The powder is supposed to be the same as used in one of Hornadies ammo offering, but I’ve never heard exactly which cartridge it was used in.
    You might call Hornady and talk to their tech and see if he can help you or offer a idea of where you might find a supply of that particular loading or one that will also mimic the load ou want

I didn’t know they were offering the powder. I’m actually surprised they’d do that instead of keeping the recipe in house forcing users to buy the loaded cartridge.

The SST SPF 165gr is advertised as 2960 fps. The Hornady X manual says 59.2 grains of RL-17 will get you to 2950, but that’s an absolute top load, and only reachable by using RL-17. I can’t says I’ve come across that powder before. I’m surprised Hornady published something at SPF velocity at all. Their manual won’t let me replicate top end magnum pistol loads that they manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I didn’t know they were offering the powder. I’m actually surprised they’d do that instead of keeping the recipe in house forcing users to buy the loaded cartridge.

The SST SPF 165gr is advertised as 2960 fps. The Hornady X manual says 59.2 grains of RL-17 will get you to 2950, but that’s an absolute top load, and only reachable by using RL-17. I can’t says I’ve come across that powder before. I’m surprised Hornady published something at SPF velocity at all. Their manual won’t let me replicate top end magnum pistol loads that they manufacture.
    Alliant RL-17 has a similar burn rate to IMR 4350 with added velocity. BUT it's not for Large Rifle per se, it was/is designed for short mag case capacity loads with medium bullet weights.

The Hodgdon "Superformance" (if you can even find it) isn't good for 30-06 and is NOT (to the best of my knowledge) the same Hornady SPF powder - it's just "similar".
    Hornady uses powders of varying burn rates to blend its proprietary progressive burn formula. The Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells commercially is one particular (fixed) burn rate slightly lower than 4350 that does well in some short magnum cartridges.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 01-06-2023 at 10:31 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Just an FYI--the distributor price for this ammo is around $33. That will let you know what the markup is, if you can find it. It might be easier, closer to hunting season. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Just an FYI--the distributor price for this ammo is around $33. That will let you know what the markup is, if you can find it. It might be easier, closer to hunting season. Good luck!
    I did find it online for $31/box, “in stock”…..or 500 rounds for $480. Lol, nope. I remember the site being flagged as a scam site. Not touching it. Everyone else sold out.

Superformance is still being advertised as the powder Hornady uses in their Superformance ammo.
    The kicker is it just one of the formulas used and which cartridges(s) exactly it was developed for is not given, just what group of cartridges it is suitable for.
    Even in the suitable cartridges I’m sure it behaves differently depending on bullet weight.

Product Overview
    Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?"

Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Targeted velocities are well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition!

Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

Available in 1 lb. and 8 lb. containers.
    Have you considered asking your local gun shop to order the load you want?
    Stores buy what they think will sell, shelf space is limited. If they know they have a sale they might be able to get it in their next ammo shipment.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Superformance is still being advertised as the powder Hornady uses in their Superformance ammo.
    The kicker is it just one of the formulas used and which cartridges(s) exactly it was developed for is not given, just what group of cartridges it is suitable for.
    Even in the suitable cartridges I’m sure it behaves differently depending on bullet weight.

Have you considered asking your local gun shop to order the load you want?
    Stores buy what they think will sell, shelf space is limited. If they know they have a sale they might be able to get it in their next ammo shipment.
    The distributor that I gave the price for is one of the top 3 and they were out of stock. That's why I said to check closer to hunting season. That's when short runs of hunting loads are run off, usually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast