Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2023 Black Lake sturgeon season begins Feb. 4

DNR News

Jan. 6, 2023
    Contact: Tim Cwalinski, 231-340-0276 or Sierra Williams, 517-230-8788
    2023 Black Lake sturgeon season begins Feb. 4
    Sturgeon at Black Lake

The 2023 lake sturgeon fishing season on Black Lake in Cheboygan County, Michigan, will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 4. All anglers must register online to participate in the fishing season, and those age 17 or older must have a valid Michigan fishing license.

The harvest limit for the 2023 season on Black Lake is six lake sturgeon. Officials will close the season when one of two scenarios occurs:

The sixth fish is harvested.
    Five fish have been harvested at the end of any fishing day.

Fishing hours are 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day of the season. The season will end either at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, or when one of the above scenarios is met, at which point anglers will be notified via text message and on the ice by DNR personnel that they must immediately stop fishing for lake sturgeon.

Anyone who wants to participate this year must register online by Feb. 3. Get more registration and season information at Michigan.gov/Sturgeon.

Participating anglers must bring their own bright red flag (1-foot diameter or larger) to hang on their fishing shanty so that DNR personnel can identify those who are sturgeon fishing. Anglers are asked to hang one or more flags in highly visible locations on their shanty.

Anyone harvesting a lake sturgeon must immediately contact DNR personnel on the ice. Official registration of each harvested fish will take place at a DNR trailer located on the ice at the end of Zollner Road in the northwest part of Black Lake. Harvest registration may include an examination of the fish's internal organs and removal of a piece of fin tissue for DNA analysis or aging.

Lake sturgeon rehabilitation efforts in Black Lake over the last two decades have been a successful collaboration between the Michigan DNR, Sturgeon for Tomorrow, tribal agencies, Michigan State University and Tower-Kleber Limited Partnership. This population has increased in the past 20 years due to rearing and stocking efforts, research and protection of spawning adults, and this trend is expected to continue.

Anglers should be aware of marginal ice conditions on regional lakes so far this year and use extreme caution when fishing. Visit Michigan.gov/IceSafety for tips to stay safe on the ice.

Note to editors: An accompanying photo is available below for download. Caption information follows.

Lake sturgeon: The 2023 lake sturgeon fishing season on Black Lake in Cheboygan County will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 4. All anglers must register online to participate. Get registration and season information at Michigan.gov/Sturgeon.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    And the Shivaree is back, Beer tent Friday the 3rd, and 4th

https://www.sturgeonfortomorrow.org/shivaree/

Quote Originally Posted by bentstick View Post
    And the Shivaree is back, Beer tent Friday the 3rd, and 4th

https://www.sturgeonfortomorrow.org/shivaree/
    I miss seeing my friends there.

MGO Member
    If we do not get some cold weather there may no fishing, North end of lake is froze but very thin with a strip of open water where river goes out the lake,From 5 mile point south is maybe 1/3 froze, it don't look good no one can be seen fishing even in the bay.

MGO Member
    We are fishing north end of the lake so far, getting out closer to Sturgeon waters, average of 4-6" of ice, top3-5 is white ice with the bottom inch of so good blue Ice, side by sides are running out but still a lil early for me to be getting mine out there, south end finally crusted over as far as you can see, I did a drive around the lake today not much going on, keep fingers crossed this rain coming does not do to much damage to what's there, and cooler weather after, cheers

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Best of luck to you and all that make it to fish for these creatures! It’s a short but exciting season!
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by bentstick View Post
    We are fishing north end of the lake so far, getting out closer to Sturgeon waters, average of 4-6" of ice, top3-5 is white ice with the bottom inch of so good blue Ice, side by sides are running out but still a lil early for me to be getting mine out there, south end finally crusted over as far as you can see, I did a drive around the lake today not much going on, keep fingers crossed this rain coming does not do to much damage to what's there, and cooler weather after, cheers
    You shouldn't be driving your motorhome on the ice, lol

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    You shouldn't be driving your motorhome on the ice, lol

Naw no need for motorhome, but just give it time some dumbass will push the luck to hard and end up wet and a drowned machine, happens every yr, Son and I almost saw it yesterday by the inlet of the upper Black.

MGO Member
    Running the Side by Side pretty much every where on the lake now, I keep to the North End but soon to be out on the South end, fishing is hit and miss, the water seems to be cloudy on most sand bars may be a slow Sturgeon Season, but hell the Beer tent will going Friday Night, will be a nice break from cutting 7 holes Friday for Sat Am Fishing, time to wait for the cannon boom. Dont know how many know the people of the area here that Visit would just like to say, Dennis "fishgutz" Ganske will not be on the Ice any more, he will be watching from the heavens, will miss you out there Fishgutz shine on all there. Cheers Bro

MGO Member
    73 mins and dun, nothing big, biggest was 55.5" IIRC ,what ashame when I know there are 100 lbs of fish swimming out there.
    Last edited by bentstick; 02-05-2023 at 04:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast