Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Sig P238 / P938 Grip Screw Thread Size

Does anyone know the thread size of the Sig P238/938 grip screws? I've done the typical Google search and "armchair gunsmiths" have conflicting information.

The reason I ask is that I stripped the frame by overtightening a screw and need to heli-coil.

I found that I can send it back to Sig Sauer for a new frame, but that is the price of another gun.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius (Have Brain, Will Travel)

The universe has a funny way of working things out.

I am a Forum User
    I'd use a drill index & find a drill bit the size of the hole..then tap the hole with a tap the next larger size.

.150-50 (same as 1911's, just shorter)

Just checked my P238 with my .150-50 tap.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wecoyote View Post
    Does anyone know the thread size of the Sig P238/938 grip screws? I've done the typical Google search and "armchair gunsmiths" have conflicting information.

The reason I ask is that I stripped the frame by overtightening a screw and need to heli-coil.

I found that I can send it back to Sig Sauer for a new frame, but that is the price of another gun.

Any help would be appreciated!
    I'm not sure that you will find any .15x50 Helicoils as that is really fine threads that usually don't take well to Helicoils.

The next size up screw mentioned above is usually a good option.

Another option (if you have enough room) is to use an Ed Brown 1911 short grip screw Bushing - .157" long, .270" O.D., .236"-60 external threads, .150"-50 internal threads. You would need to drill the stock frame hole out then tap it to .236"-60, then either counter-bore the back side of your grip to clear the short bushing head extension. Or just file the top part of the bushing off leaving just the threaded part that is the thickness of your frame, then use that as a type of Time-Sert (basically a Helicoil with actual threads on the OD of it) with some red Locktite to secure it permanently in your frame.

If you have any threads left in the gun frame there might be another option, that is to find another grip screw with a proper head to match your existing grip screws (or find one that looks close then file the head OD down to fit in your grip screw recess. This screw needs to have a larger screw size, or better yet no threads at all just under the screw head.

Then file or re-work the screw shank to be slightly larger than is required for a .150"-50 die, next take a .150"-50 die then run the adjustment screw in to open the .150"-50 die up as much as you can. Then cut new over-sized threads on that re-worked screw. This will give you an over-sized threaded shank in the correct thread pitch. If your gun frame still has some remaining threads in it this makes a repair that doesn't effect the frame itself.

Try messaging them on Facebook or email. I asked Smith and Wesson how much for a screw on a 340pd. They sent it free. I think it was going to be 13 bucks or something like that from midway.