Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Gun clubs sw Michigan opinions

I am looking to join a shooting club in sw Michigan. I have never been a member of any clubs. I was looking at coloma watervilet sw Michigan club and Kalamazoo. What are your opinions of these clubs? PM’s ok! Looking mostly at riffle and pistol maybe some tactical rifle. They are all about the distance from my house 30-45 minutes. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by link523 View Post
    I am looking to join a shooting club in sw Michigan. I have never been a member of any clubs. I was looking at coloma watervilet sw Michigan club and Kalamazoo. What are your opinions of these clubs? PM’s ok! Looking mostly at riffle and pistol maybe some tactical rifle. They are all about the distance from my house 30-45 minutes. Thanks
    My personal doctor is a member of Paw Paw Conservation Club. Never been there myself but he's been a member for years. Talked it up a lot.

Southern Michigan Gun Club . . . . .
    1. modest yearly membership fee
    2. outdoor ranges (in mattawan) = air rifle / pistol / rifle 50 & 100 / shotgun / archery / pistol competition pit ( + 12 special interest groups of various types i.e. CMP, pistol dish, etc )
    3. indoor range (in kalamazoo) = pistol / rifle ( limited to .22 and ammo under 1,000fps )
    4. usually not crowded unless a specific range is being used for event.
    5. website and members area with updated information
    6. monthly calendar schedule of events to print.
    Plenty of open range times and shooting events. ( NO .50 CAL rifle allowed )
    I'm in Portage and its 30 min to Mattawan range and 20 min to the Kazoo indoor range

have a look . . . .
    Last edited by 3rd FocalPlane; 01-09-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Depends on what you're looking for.
    Southern Michigan Gun Club (SMGC) is good for trap/skeet and conventional rifle (50 and 100 yd). I've been a member off and on for 15 years now.
    That said, they have a few too many rules that likely will cause me to join South Kent Sportsman when it comes to pistol shooting. I like to practice drawing from the holster and some shoot and move... none of which is allowed at SMGC. And the new rule of allowing people to shoot 5.56 and 7.62 pistols at the pistol bay, but NOT Pistol Caliber Carbines is beyond stupid. You'll have some jackwagon shooting a 9" 7.62 with a muzzle brake but someone using a 16" 9mm carbine isn't allowed. You decide who you'd rather shoot next to.
    Great guys and again their skeet ranges are not only good, but the guys who regularly show up to shoot are more than happy to help out newer shooters which is a huge plus. But the rules on the Goff range (pistol) are too restrictive.
    So if all you are ever looking to do is stand in a bay and target shoot, SMGC is a great choice. But if you want to practice SD shooting, not at all.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club has a place on North Sprinkle. Used to be pretty decent, but I haven't been there in a long time so I can't say one way or the other anymore.

https://kalamazoorodandgunclub.com/

I am a Forum User
    Thanks I will check them out. Looks like paw paw you need a sponsor to join.