Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Marketplace Moderator

New Remington 700

I was looking at the new Remington model 700 Alpha 1 rifle. It will be quite expensive. The price I saw was $1670 for a rifle in 308. The Bergera rifles are pretty high quality. I realize everything is going up in price. The older 700's will probably keep going up in price. What is your thoughts?

MGO Member
    Me, I have to wonder who is gonna keep buying all these new guns. I read that hunter numbers are dwindling all the time and that it appears that the younger generations are much less interested in the shooting sports. I really have zero real interest in any type of hunting rifles as the ones I have just sit in the safe.
    Prices also are getting high enough that any mild interest I might have is snuffed out quickly.
    I just need to start applying the same thought process to handguns as I already have more then I need!
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Both are very nice rifles, however I’d prefer the M70 Super Grade at about the same price.
    The Remington is the only American made rifle of the above, the M70 is Portuguese made IIRC and the Bargara made in Spain.
    I would lean toward the Bargara of the two you mentioned. I’ve shot a couple of them in both 6.5 Creed and 308, both were quite accurate. Build and fit seemed to be good and they have been well accepted from all of them I see on the local ranges.
    The Remingtons are a standard for American hunting rifles, with lots of aftermarket parts out there. The “new” Remingtons definitely appear to have raised the quality bar over the “old”, but I’ve not shot nor cycled ammo through one.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Me, I have to wonder who is gonna keep buying all these new guns. I read that hunter numbers are dwindling all the time and that it appears that the younger generations are much less interested in the shooting sports. I really have zero real interest in any type of hunting rifles as the ones I have just sit in the safe.
    Prices also are getting high enough that any mild interest I might have is snuffed out quickly.
    I just need to start applying the same thought process to handguns as I already have more then I need!
    If everyone like you was selling be would be knee deep in well made classics.

I'd mostly prefer that low use old classics from 60s-90s.

Sign me up.

I hear ya but some guys just have to buy new car every year, new gold clubs every other year, new guns every year.

Bless them.

I am there to scoop them up at the right time.