Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem Oil or ???

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    G96 Complete Gun Treatment I've been using it for over 50 years, never any rust! Smells awesome, almost like it's addictive!
    https://g96.com/
    Agreed. I love the G96 .... but I have only been using it for 45 years!

I once used it on a S&W Model 59 and put the gun in a closet with no special storage for 25 years. We took the gun out, loaded it up, and shot 500 flawless rounds thru it.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    Agreed. I love the G96 .... but I have only been using it for 45 years!

I once used it on a S&W Model 59 and put the gun in a closet with no special storage for 25 years. We took the gun out, loaded it up, and shot 500 flawless rounds thru it.
    Yup, 45 years qualifies you as a G96 addict!

MGO Member
    G-96 spray ask a gunsmith..

In Memoriam Forum User

Question

Quote Originally Posted by coobie View Post
    G-96 spray ask a gunsmith..
    Why, what would they say?

Yup, 45 years qualifies you as a G96 addict!
    Lol! I'm not big on labels but you do have a point!

G96 is billed as a 3 in one all purpose cleaner, lube, preservative. I use other products including bore cleaners, KG10 dry moly, and various lubes on the slide. I use the G96 for general cleaning and ALWAYS use G96 to finish the bore. I also use G96 for general household lube/preservative.

I am not and expert on this stuff ..... I just bought my first can of G96 when I bought my first gun in 1978 and I have never been disappointed.

Back to the OP's question:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post

..... What I am interested in is using Rem Oil, or something similar, after cleaning and before putting the firearm (in my case, a handgun) back in the safe. .....

What do you use?
    I use Rem Oil general other lube points and sometimes on the slide. I like it and think it does a better job as a lube than G96. I think G96 is a good cleaner for carbon and such, a okay lube for slides and general points, and I think G96 excels as a preservative. I like the G96 for a general cleaner as it is not as harsh and specific cleaners like Rem Action Cleaner.
    Last edited by Pond Scum; 01-11-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Why, what would they say?
    Keep it clean, carbon absorbs moisture
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

If RemOil is what you've been using and like the results - If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If you need to renew the wet cloth or "gunsock" just spray some more on it. Or buy a pack of good microfiber cloths and apply rem oil liberally to one. Use the wet one to wipe it down and a dry one to clean up excess.
    You really shouldn't be spraying down your firearm with rem oil anyway - it's meant to be wiped on, and excess wiped off...not getting it ready for an oil wrastlin tournament.

I am a Forum User
    I used to use Rem-oil a lot, but after years of use, & reading it wasn't so great (for lubrication) I switched..to trying several others, ( inc. Mobil 1)
    My gunsmith gave me a few sample tubes of FP-10..I used it & it's been my lube ever since.
    I use RIG ( = rust inhibiting grease) for long term storage..and as I use WD-40 for a cleaner ..(it's great for dissolving shooting residue)
    I just wipe the gun down with a lightly used towel after cleaning. As long as the gun metal doesn't have contact with skin, it won't corrode, in my experience.
    My handguns are handled frequently, as I like to shoot them .. and I take a few different handguns when I shoot, so they all get exercise.

My SS pistols are wiped down the same, after use. I prefer SS pistols, as they're much more resistant to corrosion. I still wipe off fingerprints.
    If I'm moving rifles (sometimes pistols) around in the safe(s), I put on a pr of cotton gloves, to avoid contact with metal surfaces.
    I keep a pr of gloves on top of each safe.

I always avoid putting a firearm in a sealed plastic bag, as I feel it's more likely to corrode, from trapped humidity, than if it's open to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    For the most part, yes. Is there something different, or better, to use for stainless finishes (here is another area that I lack knowledge in)?
    I don't worry very much about my guns if they aren't blued.

Here's a nice test https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/eezox/

I have used eezox on blued with good success.

Used rem oil. Clip, all the common stuff. For protection on something like tennifer or stainless I never saw much difference.

Last edited by Phoenix63; 01-11-2023 at 09:01 PM.
    USAF Veteran 1982 - 1991
    NRA Member, USCCA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast