Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loktite For Grip Screws?

I have a couple of handguns where the grip screws loosen up after a fun afternoon at the range. I know I can use Loktite, but I'm not sure which color is best to use. I'm pretty sure I don't want the super-duper, heavy-duty permanent stuff, though.

Also, is there an alternative to Loktite? I seem to recall there might be, but I'm old and married, so my memory ain't so good anymore.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Purple. Or just use small orings under the screw heads

I am a Forum User
    You can also try the thread seal tape plumbers use. Hardest part is getting a little around the screws but it seems to work well.

Try some liquid teflon.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    blue loktite is removable.. good for vibration issues .... I use a lot on my Harley Shovelhead.
    the red loktite may require an application of heat to break it free

I've used the blue on grip screws, and on scope rings that attach to bases.
    If a gun screw loosens, I'll almost always add some blue to it , when I go to tighten it.

I like blue perma tex gel. You can get a lot on the threads abd gravity doesn't drag it away.

You don't need high temp or high strength. So any of the regular use perma tex or lock-tite is fine

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    I have a couple of handguns where the grip screws loosen up after a fun afternoon at the range. I know I can use Loktite, but I'm not sure which color is best to use. I'm pretty sure I don't want the super-duper, heavy-duty permanent stuff, though.

Also, is there an alternative to Loktite? I seem to recall there might be, but I'm old and married, so my memory ain't so good anymore.

I have been using LOCTITE 222 (purple) on grip screws for years now, that is a low strength LOCKTITE that is just strong enough to prevent small screw vibration loosening but breaks loose fairly easily for removal.

I am a Forum User
    Clear nail polish too if you're married or have daughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post

I actually work for Loctite, just use the blue, 242. Acetone on the threads before, allow to dry, best possible firearm thread engagement condition. Mind your torque, 15 in/lb or so.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

I've used the blue on grip screws, and on scope rings that attach to bases.
    If a gun screw loosens, I'll almost always add some blue to it , when I go to tighten it.
    I do the same. If a grip screw of scope mount gets loose I clean the threads with alcohol and use the blue. I try not tighten quite as much after I apply the Locktite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast