Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

savage 110 hoghunter 350 legend fussy mag.

I got a hog hunter fall 2021. Shot it a few times barrel and trigger were very good, stock is lacking but thats fine it was cheap.

What was not fine was how fussy the mag they sent me was.

I wrote them on fb about how crazy amount of fail to feeds there was in a bolt action, the whole reason I go this vs a AR upper was it was supposed to feed.

It was pretty bad. If I fed 5 rounds in the mag, that seemed to doom it. At least a couple times out of 5 the bolt would ride over the round and not feed.

I bitched to them about how terrible it is and all my other semis and bolt actions feed 100, I could not even tell you the last time I had a bolt action not feed.

They sent a new mag free, seems about 90 percent better. I found 4 rounds is better than 5. I saw some people saying on youtube this is a 223 mag that they absolutely did nothing to, they just use 223 mags which if true is BS, and I would have bought something else.

I am going to mess with it more and see if I can get it 100 but they were at least sent it free.

Side not it took about 4 months. On facebook they would respond quickly at first, then wait a week to talk to someone, i respond immediately, they take a month, then another hello, can you respond etc. I had to go to email then all in all it was a multi month very unsatisfying journey to get a free mag that is about 80-90 percent reliable. I would have to look to be sure, but start to finish 4 months.

I would recommend email not fb with savage.

SW very fast on fb. Sent out free screw in a few minutes, had it in a few days.

Vortex same thing, responded right away, free part in my hand in 2 days.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the report..I share your frustration at a slow response from what is often called, "customer support".
    It's my belief that manufacturers could / should put more emphasis on timely responses to reported
    customer concerns & complaints than many do in practice.

Very common problem with an easy fix.
    First, you are correct these are shipped with 223 mags.

You have two mags, start with the original since it's the worst of the two. Measure distance between feed lips on the two mags - bet you'll find a small difference.

A few quick ways to check if it is the most common problem with feeding.....
    Load some 223 in it and see how the rounds sit compared to 350. Does the 223 sit more nose up and 350 sit flatter? if so, likely front of feed lips.

Insert the empty mag to locked and push up. Should be a small amount of movement, I mean really small.
    Now load it up all the way with 350. Push up. Less movement or same? Should NOT be more.
    Continue by stripping a round off by hand and repeating the push test for the remainder of the rounds.
    One or more spots/rounds more push up slop than the others?

Fix is to bend in the front of the feed lips, in very small increments, so the round sits more nose up than flat. And cycle. Should be good to go.
    If you still have a feed problem in a specific round position or two...is probably the rim of the top case catching the next round and driving it forward in the magazine forcing the tip down. Now you have to widen the rear of the feed lips. Again, very slightly in small increments. Reload and repeat.

Less common - funky spring. Not uniformly bent. Could be shipped that way, more likely because you're pushing fat 350's into a mag with a spring for smaller/lighter 223.
    --Load it full with 350 and let it sit a handful of days, maybe a week if you can stand waiting.
    Even more less common...I saw one (O N E - and I've seen a bunch of 110 350s) with the follower in backwards. Flipped it around - YAHTZEE!

Hopefully that's all it is and you get to enjoy it.

[QUOTE=MCPO_SOCM_RET;3401563]Very common problem with an easy fix.
    First, you are correct these are shipped with 223 mags.

You have two mags, start with the original since it's the worst of the two. Measure distance between feed lips on the two mags - bet you'll find a small difference.

A few quick ways to check if it is the most common problem with feeding.....
    Load some 223 in it and see how the rounds sit compared to 350. Does the 223 sit more nose up and 350 sit flatter? if so, likely front of feed lips.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Insert the empty mag to locked and push up.
    can you say this different or expand on it. Not sure what you are saying?

If I put the mag in, either one, they are very tight. I had to make sure it was seated all they way at first when I had fail to feeds. Once pushed in and locked in, it is very very tight, not much if any movement at all.

Should be a small amount of movement, I mean really small.
    Now load it up all the way with 350.
    Push up.
    Empty mag with bolt back ?

Less movement or same? Should NOT be more.
    Continue by stripping a round off by hand and repeating the push test for the remainder of the rounds.
    One or more spots/rounds more push up slop than the others?
    Fix is to bend in the front of the feed lips, in very small increments, so the round sits more nose up than flat. And cycle. Should be good to go.
    If you still have a feed problem in a specific round position or two...is probably the rim of the top case catching the next round and driving it forward in the magazine forcing the tip down. Now you have to widen the rear of the feed lips. Again, very slightly in small increments. Reload and repeat.

Less common - funky spring. Not uniformly bent. Could be shipped that way, more likely because you're pushing fat 350's into a mag with a spring for smaller/lighter 223.
    --Load it full with 350 and let it sit a handful of days, maybe a week if you can stand waiting.
    Even more less common...I saw one (O N E - and I've seen a bunch of 110 350s) with the follower in backwards. Flipped it around - YAHTZEE!

Hopefully that's all it is and you get to enjoy it.

Sounds like you got the push test right.
    To "locked" I meant inserted so the mag retaining clip catches - in other words, you can't pull it out (or push it out from top) without releasing the retaining clip.
    Bolt forward or back - just do it the same way with unloaded and loaded mags to look for a difference.
    Bolt forward should be pretty tight like you described. And there shouldn't be any noticeable "feel" difference between loaded and unloaded - unless you are really really looking for it.
    Bolt back, push up/wiggle might be easier to see than feel.

The main thing is you need to be able to see the 350 nose pointed up when you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the mag. If it's level, you're going to have feed problems.
    You are already stuffing the base in .056" more and the rim a whole .5" more than a .223 (what the mag was made for).
    That doesn't leave a whole lot of room to manipulate the magazine to get the rounds nose up instead of flat/level.

Does that make more sense?

It's a common enough problem that there should be some youtube videos out there - if I'm not explaining it right.

Took a couple months to get it back. It now feeds correctly with three different ammos from winchester.

got it back. It works well now, feeds three different Winchester loads well. 2 hunting, 1 target ammo.

They said they fitted the mag, polished chamber and or feed lip etc and some other stuff on a lil list they gave me.

Big waste of time, sat around a long time at ffl because of the savage address being fussy, some new rule. He had it, didn't know etc.

Then it was there at savage for maybe a month.

All in all I guess I would rate it a 2 out of ten or maybe 1.5 out of 5 experience.

It would be nice if people actually tested stuff at the factory. I started this all in July and got it back at the end of hunting season, so not a great experience at all.

I had to read too much, talk to smiths, drive all over town, buy 5 ammos, beg for a second mag that as supposed to fix it, writing and text people, facebook people, follow up texts and emails, and pay I think $55 to ship it in, and even sourcing a box was a pain in the butt.

Definitely save a couple boxes in your attic.

Everything about it was difficult.

Even the NICS stuff was slow, took 20-25 minutes both times, and I did need to do it twice, once sending it out, once getting it back.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 12-21-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Seems to be the customer acts as final inspection for more and more companies these days. QA is becoming a thing of the past
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Seems to be the customer acts as final inspection for more and more companies these days. QA is becoming a thing of the past
    I had a good deal of time into this, I would love to have the option of guns on a second line where I just pay $50 more for them to test fire it, manipulate it, load it unload it, eject it etc. Dry fire 20 times. Hit it with a X or something that says it came off the line to the special inspection spot.

This was a big ol time waste.

I probably had 15-20 hours into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast