Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airlines & firearms transport

Greetings
    Anyone recently fly commercial airlines with a checked firearm ? ?
    Am heading out for R&R not hunting trip and due to current in country conditions ??? . . . . would like to take my EDC.
    Need to check .. TSA .. Airlines .. for all the latest, anything else . . . wonder if it would be a mistake to call the PD at destination ?
    YEARS ago there was a form one had to fill out, I understand that no longer goes.
    yes, have MI CPL ... good in destination.
    Heard many destination airport LE have their own procedure for returning it to you. Like when your in a taxi or vehicle heading away from airport,
    and or picking it up off of airport property at nearest LE station ! !

thanks

I am a Forum User
    I've never heard of any of those destination stipulations. I don't even know how they would know that you had a gun. It's in your luggage, not shipped separately.

I am a Forum User
    When I flew into Orlando once the bag was taken into the lost luggage office where I retrieved it promptly..

Every other time I’ve flown with a firearm in the US my bag goes with the rest

My case cruzer hard case has an Apple AirTag in it to keep an eye on the location..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    I've never heard of any of those destination stipulations. I don't even know how they would know that you had a gun. It's in your luggage, not shipped separately.
    WHAT???

You can NOT transport a firearm in your "luggage". It has to be declared at the ticket counter, in a tsa approaved lock box. TSA has rules and each differentl airline has their own rules (some same, some a lil different) Contact your airline for their directions.

MGO Member
    First look up your airlines policy/procedure online. Follow their directions.

Which is more or less the following....

Put the unloaded firearm in a locked case inside your luggage.

At the airport check in with the airline and tell them you are carrying a firearm in your luggage. They will make you sign an "unloaded firearms" form. They will send you to TSA or send someone from TSA to you to inspect the luggage/case it's in. They will make you open the gun case and do a swab test for explosive residue, then tag it. They may ask you to show them it's unloaded. I usually use a chamber flag in the gun so I don't have to handle it in front of them. They usually put a declaration tag on the inside of the suitcase indicating a firearm and that it's been inspected.

Use a non TSA lock for the gun case inside your luggage but you have to have a TSA approved lock for the suitcase. They'll or you will then send the luggage through. Upon arrival some airlines make you pick up your suitcase at a Baggage Service Office, some don't. Once free of the airport you can lock and load.

And the ammo has to be separate. It can be in the same suitcase but not in with the gun. It can be in original boxes or I use MTM plastic ammo boxes. It just can't be loose or in plastic bags etc. I usually put the ammo boxes inside of socks to keep them for banging around.

I also use a cable lock on the pistol box inside the suitcase to keep it from being stolen, of course someone can steal the whole suitcase but it's harder to get away with than just a handgun.

If you have weight considerations for your luggage. I started using the plastic gun case many pistols come with. As long as it has a means (pad locks) to lock the case you are good to go. I now use a steel gun vault (smallest available for the gun I carry). The kind with the cable lock for under the car seat and for fastening to your suitcase.
    Last edited by Garymac; 01-18-2023 at 09:17 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I've never had a problem having a gun in my luggage. A safety strap locked to the luggage frame, declare it at the counter. They'll Xray the bag, put a card in the luggage, and away you go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpolijr View Post
    WHAT???

You can NOT transport a firearm in your "luggage". It has to be declared at the ticket counter, in a tsa approaved lock box. TSA has rules and each differentl airline has their own rules (some same, some a lil different) Contact your airline for their directions.
    The lock box goes in your regular luggage. I didn't think that I'd have to mention the lock box, because that is pretty common knowledge.

You CAN put the ammo in the same box as the firearm, it just can't be loose ammo. Use the box it (the ammo) came in.
    Do NOT give the TSA a key unless they're opening the box in front of you. I prefer combination locks.
    Make sure it's all locked up before you walk into the airport too! Bringing an unloaded firearm with accessible ammunition (unlocked case with pistol and ammo) to check-in carries the same civil penalty/fine as bringing a loaded firearm there.

Absolutely no reason to call the local PD to tell them you're flying in with a pistol you intend to carry concealed.

I walk up to the counter (inside, to the ticket agent) with my pelican box locked, outside my checked luggage with key locks. After inspection/paperwork by the TSA I put combo locks on it and then put it in my checked bag. Keep copies of all paperwork with my ticket in my carry on, and then proceed to the gate - get a copy of the TSA check paperwork if they don't give you one - it is your only proof it was checked properly should any problems arise on the distant end!
    You should get a bright neon orange CAGPT tag on your luggage (“Check and Give Protection To”), I think the card put in the case was also neon orange.

Or just visit the TSA site for regs and rules to verify for yourself.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
    Airlines may have their own restrictions on size, weight, etc. but everything else is based on the TSA rules.
    Had to change from a Delta flight because my rifle, mags, box weighed more than their BS 11 pound limit. Which was a case by ITSELF, not inside another checked bag. There is no requirement from the TSA for it to be inside another checked bag.

You're supposed to pick it up at that little TSA office in baggage to sign for receipt but half the time it comes out on the conveyor.
    If your luggage/firearm is missing at your destination inform the TSA supervisor on duty and have them call the local FBI office IMMEDIATELY (who will probably involve their FAA and ATF POCs) - I bet they find your luggage real fast. After all it is an interstate transfer of a firearm - or a federal case now.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 01-18-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpolijr View Post
    WHAT???

It absolutely does NOT need to be in a TSA approved lockbox nor does it need to have a TSA approved lock on whatever container you have the firearm in. The suitcase you put the firearm case in it has to be TSA approved, but not the case itself. And unless your shipping a longgun, you'd be a dolt to check just a pistol case, so I'm going off common sense and thinking that's not what you are doing.
    Each time I fly I have my G19 with 3 mags and ammo in a small Pelican case that's double locked with non-TSA approved locks and I have a steel cable routed through the locks and through the frame bar of my suitcase. I declare it at the airport (usually GRR or AZO), they take the suitcase away and tag it, and I pick it up at the luggage claim room, usually not carousel, at my destination.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

BPOLIJR. . . . . yes you can transport a firearm in your "CHECKED" baggage . . . thats how it gets to your final destination, did it before but decades ago.
    Correct you declare it at the ticket counter, there use to be a form one filled out, guess that is not in use anymore.
    Hey All . . . . . great info. I'll do an info read at TSA . . . should be GTG
    thanks

( I flew with a pistol (in lock box) way before 911 . . way before . . filled out a form . . The counter person gave pistol to the Captain and he kept it in the
    cockpit till at destination, then handed it to me upon deboarding ! ) That was on a Convair 580 for those who remember the time period.
    be safe out there
    Last edited by 3rd FocalPlane; 01-18-2023 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast