Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOG HUNT

HOG HUNT

Going down to Fla. for a couple weeks in March. Any of you folks been on a hog hunt down there?

Wondering if a CVA single shot in 44 magnum would be a good choice. I also have a 5.56 AR, a Winchester 30/30
    & an AK in 7.62X39mm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    Depends on the type of hunt hogs are evil need multiple shots if the get pizzed

MGO Member
    I've been part of free range hog hunts in Texas, walking and kicking sounders out of the palmettos, when all 4 of Devil Dog's calibers were used to kill hogs. The shots tended to be close, 20 to 50 yards, at running pigs. All 4 calibers killed pigs but the larger calibers, the 44 mag, the 30-30, and the 7.62 x 39, seemed to me to be more effective than the 223. The pigs usually dropped and died quicker than they did when shot with the 223. Bullet choice is important. Shot placement makes a big difference between a pig being wounded and running off or dying quickly. Being able to make a quick follow-up shot on either the first pig shot or on another pig in the group is nice.
    Personally, I'd hunt with the Win 94 30-30 repeater or the 7.62 x 39 AK repeater over the 5.56 repeater or the 44 mag single for the type of hog hunting that we do.
    For a bait hunt or a watching a crossing hunt where the pigs are likely to be moving slowing, any of your rifles should work well with appropriate ammo.
    Good luck with your hunt. Let us know how it goes.

There's a big difference between Texas javelina and Florida boar/swine hybrids...about 50-75 pounds of a difference on average.
    Yes there are feral hogs (boar/swine) in Texas too but they're not really a game animal. I know semantics...in Texas we used to stack a pallet of tannerite on the bait pile for hogs and watch pigs fly...sound like something you can do with game animals? They're crop, grassland, pretty much anything, destroying nuisances.

Now if we're talking FL razorbacks...using only a single shot is pretty brave - better have a big caliber backup ready to pull if you miss the sweet spot and it turns and charges you.
    Those things are just plain mean! And you'll smell 'em before you see 'em.

So, yeah - that's a long winded way of saying what mr44 did...it depends on what you're planning to harvest.

If this is on a ranch type hunt, many places specify acceptable cal sizes to use. Nothing for super long distance or high power.
    Went to Texas once, years ago . . . . they prefered 30 cal military type . . . . so I took an FAL carbine / 7.62x51 . . . perfect.
    would not take a single shot rifle !

First thought about taking the CVA in 44 mag, & using my new Colt Anaconda as a backup.
    Lot of iron to be hauling around in hot humid weather.

I like the idea of using the AK if I can gain some insight on what brand/ type of ammo to use.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

If it's 308 you don't need anything fancy with polymer tips, partitions, ultra-bonded interlocks or mono-copper money wasters.
    Good 'ol fashioned tried and true Rem core-lokt 180gr SPs will thump a big nasty hog, 180 PSPs will work too - but treat it like the dirty stinking pig it is...thump it with a jacketed round nose soft point or two.
    ...and the best thing is - they're in stock all over the place.

MGO Member
    My friend has had good luck killing Texas feral pigs using Fort Scott Munitions 'tumble on impact' ammo in his AK. I can think of 6 or 7 that he's killed in the past couple of years.
    300g Hornady XTP load from a 44 mag and 170 Win power points from a 30-30 work well on Texas feral pigs. I may use 150g Federal copper loads in the 30-30 when we hunt this year.
    We hunt feral pigs in some of the WMAs east of Dallas. These pigs are typically 75 to 200 pounds, not 500 lb hogzillas. I expect that most hunting ammo intended for deer would work fine on the Texas feral hogs that we typically kill. If the feral hogs that you'll hunt in Florida are bigger and tougher than the ones that we hunt in Texas, then heavier bullets or copper bullets that favor penetration instead of quick expansion might be better.
    If you are using a guide service or an outfitter to hunt in Florida, ask them for cartridge and ammo recommendations.
    Good luck.

The place we are considering offer a night hunt with FLIR scopes. Ammo & rifle included.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    I did a hog hunt in Florida last Feb. Took my Marlin lever action in 44 mag. You will likely be set up in an elevated blind overlooking a feeder maybe 40 yards away so your CVA will be fine. I shot a pig, one shot, one kill, Pretty easy head shot. I think the load I used was 225 gr. Hornady ballistic tip. But it could have been a 240 gr SP handload. I don't remember. The place we hunted was called West Shore Outfitters outside of New Smyrma Beach.

My son used his 300 blackout AR pistol on this monster

It was a lot of fun but we were pretty much done by 10 am. They put you out before dawn. You are pretty much guaranteed a pig. I killed mine just after dawn. My son didn't see any pigs early but the guide came by and took him out into the bush. He got the big one around 9 am. We had booked a half day hunt which is about all you need. There was a couple other guys there that booked a full day. They didn't get or rather take pigs in the morning. I'd guess they were looking for the really big guys or they were stretching out their hunt.

Dress warm, it's rather chilly (mid 40s) before the sun comes up in Florida in Feb/March

I'd do it again. I have a bunch of rifles in all different configurations and calibers but the 44 mag worked fine and I like carrying it. I'd hunt there again but maybe be more selective in what I shoot. Didn't know what to expect the first time. It was fun hunting pigs
    My marlin has a 16" bbl and a 1-3x Weaver scope. Very handy to carry. I've taken some deer with it as well. Frankly I don't think you need anything more. I did take my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag and my son took his 10mm Glock but the guides frowned on using pistols. Too many wounded animals they said. You won't likely need a pistol as backup. We left ours in the car.

And take a big cooler for the meat. They'll cut it up but won't wrap it. You'll just get the big slabs of meat. We brought a cooler but it wasn't big enough. Had to stop and buy an extra styrofoam one and ice for the trip home.
    Last edited by Garymac; 01-27-2023 at 02:09 PM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast