Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOG HUNT

Same place we're looking at. I guess there are packing businesses nearby that will cut it up, freeze & wrap it. Pick it up a couple days later. Big hunks of raw meat won't do me any good when I get it back home to MI. Would have to have it processed & packed in dry ice for the trip home.

Gary, how was the meat? I've heard the sows & young animals are quite good, but the old big boys, not so much.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Same place we're looking at. I guess there are packing businesses nearby that will cut it up, freeze & wrap it. Pick it up a couple days later. Big hunks of raw meat won't do me any good when I get it back home to MI. Would have to have it processed & packed in dry ice for the trip home.

Gary, how was the meat? I've heard the sows & young animals are quite good, but the old big boys, not so much.
    The tender loins were good, the brisket and roasts not so much
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

The bigguns are tasty too - you just have to get their nuts and the 4 glands off the back legs pretty quick IF they're already in full on fight-or-flight when you drop 'em with a round. Sort of like a buck in full rut extra gamey taste. If you drop it dead, then no circulation means no extra hot shot of hormones pumping through the meat.
    That's usually where that off taste or "taint" comes from. Always the first thing I did, even with the smaller males. You still have to hang them for a bit, and you definitely don't want those stink glands getting mixed into the butchered pile vs the trash can.
    Some will disagree and waive it off as an old wive's tale, but in my past experience there is a difference.

And just like deer - the old ones who had an active breeding season (or the just plain old tough as leather senior citizen whitetails) will store that potent testosterone mixture in their remaining fat, making them extra gamey. Get rid of that fat that's what makes them taste different.

A game ranch will have its own opinion, or the males may already be castrated during an earlier season or two to get them bigger/fatter.

Just sharing my own experience.

MGO Member
    2 Russian boar I got with a bow a few moons ago in Penn. where not bad eating most went to sausage, the 4 hinds where cured and smoked for hams a very good improvement. one was a female at 278 lbs the other was male at 280, female was much better vittles.

..growing up down there shot a few hogs get the meat cured and smoked if you can I would take the pistol and second choice 30/30.Have fun and maybe get a snake skin to bring back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12