Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Physics disagrees with you.
    I agree.
    A 12ga 1oz slug @ 1200fps from a mini vs the same slug @1500fps from a 2 3/4” in equal wt firearms will have noticeable differences in recoil. A 20ga field load maybe…
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Physics disagrees with you.
    https://youtu.be/QLAb0XFKz7E

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverislander View Post
    Probably #4 Buck but I'm going to need a lot of plinking ammo to get up and running.

Shooting from the hit is much harder that it looks (for me anyway.)
    A stock tucked under the arm for point shooting provides more accuracy than trying to hip shoot any day of the week. Practice with a .22LR it is way cheaper and easier on the body. With enough practice, you should be able to point shoot accurately at ranges far greater than what shot will reliably pattern.

I am a Forum User
    It doesn't appear that any mail order ammunition retailer has the Winchester AA20FL8 low recoil shotshell in stock. Nor the Fiocchi 20LITE75 low recoil trainer round.

But one mail order ammunition supplier does have the Nobel Sport Italia 837913002377 20 gauge Low Recoil Target Load in stock.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    So you didn't notice one of the first things they talk about is reduced recoil? When talking same payload, the mini will always have lower recoil due to a lower velocity.

It really is simple physics.

I am a Forum User
    Look for Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    So you didn't notice one of the first things they talk about is reduced recoil? When talking same payload, the mini will always have lower recoil due to a lower velocity.

It really is simple physics.
    Yes, for the buckshot, but he said that the recoil for the slugs was not that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    In any given firearm, recoil is a direct function of mass times velocity (MV). In shotshells, you have to consider the cumulative mass of the shot, wad, and propellant. Gun gas velocity is usually assumed to be twice the projecta velocity.

If you want to reduce recoil, try lowering the shot payload or the velocity of the loads. Winchester catalogues a low noise, low recoil 20 gauge AA load, but it has been difficult to obtain in the last couple of years. Reloading can produce some very modest recoil 20 gauge loads with the Claybuster CB1075-20 wad.
    After reading these replies and doing some research I keep coming back to the thought of reloading. I reload for pistol and rifle but not shot-shells. Are these components as hard to find too? Any idea how much it would run for a beginners low output setup for a 20g.?

Both the 590 Shockwave 12 & 20 weigh 4.95 pounds, so there's no advantage to be had there. (from the heavier model would reduce felt recoil POV)
    The 410 comes in at 4.24 pounds.
    If you're going the mini shell route, the 590S 12ga Shockwave cycles 1.75”, 2.75” or 3” shells without the need for a mini shell adaptor. AND weighs 5.3 pounds.

So now you have the starting gun weight for your math to figure out recoil from different loads.

For example the Federal 12ga mini (aka "shorty") has #4 buck with 15 pellets, and we'll use the 590S shockwave. (the best #4 Buck mini out there now, without a treasure map to find it stocked IMO)
    gun - 5.3 lbs
    fps - 1180
    weight of shot (oz) - 0.70971429 (15 #4 buck @ 20.7gr each)
    == 14.4 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy

and the 12ga fed shorty slug = 25.3 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy (might as well ditch the mini idea at this point)

For the 20ga Shockwave with Rem 2.75" low recoil #3 Buck (good luck finding any #4 Buck in 20ga!)
    gun - 4.95 lbs
    fps - 1140
    weight of shot (oz) - 0.90925714 (17 #3 buck @ 23.4gr each)
    == 21.5 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy

And now the 410 with the 2.5" PDX load mentioned...
    gun - 4.24 lbs
    fps - 750
    weight of shot (oz) - 0.25 (3 discs @ 11.45gr each PLUS 12 BB shot @ 6.25gr each)
    == 2.7 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy (you're in 22WMR recoil territory now!)

3" 410 PDX
    gun - 4.24 lbs
    fps - 750
    weight of shot (oz) - 0.33325714 (4 discs @ 11.45gr each PLUS 16 BB shot @ 6.25gr each)
    == 3.6 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy

and keeping it in the Winchester 410 lineup...(all SuperX below)
    a 3" .25oz slug at 1800fps = 8.7 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy
    a 3" 000 Buck at 1135fps (5 70gr pellets or 0.8oz) = 20.2 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy
    a 2.5" 000 Buck at 1300fps (3 70gr pellets or 0.48oz) = 12.0 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 01-22-2023 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed math

Thank you MCPO_SOCM_RET MCPO_SOCM_RET, this is what I needed and I sure wish I would have asked you this question before I bought one. No matter how you slice it I should have went with the 12ga. with Mini's for what I want to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast