Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: New to hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

New to hunting

I am new to all things hunting, i am going to go through the proper steps to gain a license. I thought about doing the online course with a field day. The question is is there any place local to macomb county to do a field day? When i go through the DNR site the closest is Davidson or Midland. There must be something closer, right? Any ideas are appreciated, thank you.

Good luck bud!
    The DNR hunter safety programs have become almost non-existent, and trying to find something in your immediate area is like playing the megaball - even just the stupid "field day".
    Even if you do find one - better jump on it because the spots disappear like Taylor Swift tickets.

You do have the option of obtaining a "apprentice" license (you can get 2 max lifetime) without the hunter safety course - but there are drawbacks to those types of tags with all the rules that come along with being an "apprentice".

I am a Forum User
    I have been told to do the apprentice route for now while going through the safety program. I need to find out if i will also have to then pay for an apprentice license along with a hunting license.

Not sure what you mean, but here are all your options:
    https://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Home/AllProductsForSale
    OR the top of page 10 of the hunting digest explains what I wrote out below
    https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...ing_digest.pdf

As a resident you'll need
    apprentice base [#120] - that's your small game $11
    then buy what ever else you want
    single deer (1 buck) $20
    deer combo (2 bucks) $40
    doe (antlerless) $20
    turkey, waterfowl, etc

If you plan on fishing too, just get the Apprentice Hunt/Fish Combo [#125] $76
    You get a fishing, base hunting, & deer combo
    still have to pay $20 for each doe tag though, just like everything else.
    and the other species specific tags, stamps, licenses, etc

Fishing by itself is $26 - no "fishing safety" course required.

...and don't forget. As an "apprentice" your 21+ year old babysitter must "stay within a distance that permits uninterrupted, unaided visual and verbal contact."

But you do get a bonus, sort of, being an "apprentice" for deer hunting:
    "Apprentice hunters are exempt from antler point restrictions during all deer seasons, in all regions and for all deer licenses."
    So, that antler point restriction on your 2nd tag in a combo means you're exempt.
    It does Not mean that you can buy a buck tag and shoot a doe, or a doe tag and shoot a buck though.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but here are all your options:
    https://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Home/AllProductsForSale
    OR the top of page 10 of the hunting digest explains what I wrote out below
    https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...ing_digest.pdf

As a resident you'll need
    apprentice base [#120] - that's your small game $11
    then buy what ever else you want
    single deer (1 buck) $20
    deer combo (2 bucks) $40
    doe (antlerless) $20
    turkey, waterfowl, etc

If you plan on fishing too, just get the Apprentice Hunt/Fish Combo [#125] $76
    You get a fishing, base hunting, & deer combo
    still have to pay $20 for each doe tag though, just like everything else.
    and the other species specific tags, stamps, licenses, etc

Fishing by itself is $26 - no "fishing safety" course required.

...and don't forget. As an "apprentice" your 21+ year old babysitter must "stay within a distance that permits uninterrupted, unaided visual and verbal contact."

But you do get a bonus, sort of, being an "apprentice" for deer hunting:
    "Apprentice hunters are exempt from antler point restrictions during all deer seasons, in all regions and for all deer licenses."
    So, that antler point restriction on your 2nd tag in a combo means you're exempt.
    It does Not mean that you can buy a buck tag and shoot a doe, or a doe tag and shoot a buck though.
    Yes, this^^
    I was told to look into a apprentice to go with a friend for the time being. I was looking for this type of info as well, im going to try Cabelas to see if someone there knows then ho through the DNR. Also, after looking at your links for the base apprentice i noticed the dates, will the new updated dates be posted soon for this year?

Are you asking when you can buy a license or when the hunting digest comes out?

For a license - it depends on what you're planning to hunt.
    I think, the Hunting digest comes out in May, June? Even though the cover of the 2022 hunting digest says the rules apply from Aug. 1, 2022 - July 31, 2023.
    Not really sure when they are released. I just usually grab the new one whenever I see it on the counter.
    The 2023 spring turkey digest has been out for a bit now (after christmas) even though the season doesn't start until late April.

Forgot to mention that you will have to go to one of the 13 DNR customer service centers in person to get your 1st apprentice licenses. The second one can be done online.

And that Michigan accepts a hunter safety certificate from another state and will allow you to skip the whole apprentice route if you're a new MI resident (new, meaning you got the other state cert while not a MI resident)...it wasn't ever widely published or known.

Again, only at the actual DNR office counter - they still do this.

If you're lucky, You may be able to get the right, smart, person at Cabelas or Bass Pro or a big store like that, maybe Dunhams - definitely not Walmart, Meijer or Jimmy's Bait-n-Tackle so don't waste your time there.

MGO Member
    https://www.michigan.org/regions-and-cities

Click on the region you want and keep clicking on the lead/link you want. I was looking for golf but clicked on the hunting option, looked like a couple leads. I clicked east central, outdoor, then under type hunting. I'm looking at getting involved in hunting myself, thought one of the farms might work, get education and a chance to hunt.

If you want to take Michigan hunter safety courses you are stuck with the DNR unfortunately.
    https://michigan.storefront.kalkomey.com/em/programs

The good old Pure Michigan propaganda website won't help - unless you want a laugh.