Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to hunting

That would be a better question for the DNR customer service center.
    I would think if you buy your base(small game) now that may count as your 1st year and expire when the rest of the 2022 licenses expire later this year before deer season and other fall hunting seasons. Remember you only get 2 max without a hunter safety.

Let us know what they say.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    That would be a better question for the DNR customer service center.
    I would think if you buy your base(small game) now that may count as your 1st year and expire when the rest of the 2022 licenses expire later this year before deer season and other fall hunting seasons. Remember you only get 2 max without a hunter safety.

Let us know what they say.
    I will, but i want to have a hunters safety course doe and over with by years end.

I see that you are being steered towards the apprentice route, I have to ask, "why not just do the hunters ed"? You can do the class online, then spend one day at the "field day" and you are done. I can give you the name of the guy that handles this for the Lapeer area, I don't know the Macomb guys.

The "covid" junk really messed up the classes, and when they were held, but there are still guys working to provide.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Indeed they surely are around. The Oakland County sheriff does a full classroom setting once a month (I think a Thursday evening class and a Saturday "field day" is the norm until it starts getting close to June/July.)
    There's one on Feb 2nd.
    "Field day" only offerings are almost non-existent this time of year. Give it a month or two and it should pick up.
    A lot of the places seem to cancel at the last moment because they don't have enough seats filled - so there's that too.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I see that you are being steered towards the apprentice route, I have to ask, "why not just do the hunters ed"? You can do the class online, then spend one day at the "field day" and you are done. I can give you the name of the guy that handles this for the Lapeer area, I don't know the Macomb guys.

The "covid" junk really messed up the classes, and when they were held, but there are still guys working to provide.
    I am planning to go through the online class but also finding a field day class local to Fraser has been very interesting indeed! Not much local so i was gonna wait until spring or summer for classes . I would appreciate any info for a field day class. So at the moment i thought that the apprentice route would be good, i could pick up some good info from guys that do it all the time.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Indeed they surely are around. The Oakland County sheriff does a full classroom setting once a month (I think a Thursday evening class and a Saturday "field day" is the norm until it starts getting close to June/July.)
    There's one on Feb 2nd.
    "Field day" only offerings are almost non-existent this time of year. Give it a month or two and it should pick up.
    A lot of the places seem to cancel at the last moment because they don't have enough seats filled - so there's that too.
    If you do decide to take the traditional course, I know someone that took the one at the Oakland Co. sheriff office and was taught by two sheriffs, also, this was a free course. I see they have only 5 of 50 seats left on 3/2/23 and they do go fast.

MGO Member
    Another hunter's ed class alternative you might consider is being taught at the Detroit Sportsmen's Congress (in Macomb County) on April 22 (sat) and April 23 (sunday). For more details you can either call the office (586-739-3500). or check their website: http://dscweb.org/committees/educational-classes/
    NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
    NRA Pistol & Personal Protection Instructor
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    MCRGO CPL & Rifle Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gwes351 View Post
    Another hunter's ed class alternative you might consider is being taught at the Detroit Sportsmen's Congress (in Macomb County) on April 22 (sat) and April 23 (sunday). For more details you can either call the office (586-739-3500). or check their website: http://dscweb.org/committees/educational-classes/
    Thats what im talking about, i was hoping that more classes would start to open up. If i dont find one sooner than that i will for sure check that one out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jschultz52 View Post
    Thats what im talking about, i was hoping that more classes would start to open up. If i dont find one sooner than that i will for sure check that one out. Thank you.
    DSC is only in Macomb Co. by the fact it is on the east side of the road, if it was on the other side, it would be Oakland Co.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    DSC is only in Macomb Co. by the fact it is on the east side of the road, if it was on the other side, it would be Oakland Co.
    True - located on Dequndre road, just south of 23 mile rd (that intersection is now under construction BTW).
    NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
    NRA Pistol & Personal Protection Instructor
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    MCRGO CPL & Rifle Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast