Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Moving to Michigan

Hello all, just had a few questions regarding our move. I've gotten conflicting information about certain firearms and want some additional clarification.

I'm a former Ohio State Trooper with 13 years of service, a collector and a target shooter. Our new home will be finished this summer, its located in Schoolcraft county in the Upper Peninsula. I plan to get my CPL once we get settled, I'm moving with C and R firearms, numerous pistols and a few semi-auto rifles with scary magazines. It's a Dem state which always worries me, any requirements I may have missed or additional heads up would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Michigan is relatively friendly when it comes to firearms. Nothing you have to do on your part with your firearms moving here, unless there are any NFA items in which you'll have to get permission from the ATF.

Welcome!

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, cant wait to cross the bridge for good. I have noticed quite a stir with the unpopular governor. I've lived in Ohio and Indiana and they have actually gotten much better for 2A. I hold a lifetime Indiana CPL and my Ohio just expired, I assume by reading the law that no pistol or firearm registration is required because I possess the out of state CPL's, not that I would do it anyway? We have 2 acres on the north shore of Lake Michigan and are surrounded by hundreds of acres of land of which we know the owners, I'm not expecting that anyone will come a knocking looking for my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsatch View Post
    ... I hold a lifetime Indiana CPL and my Ohio just expired, I assume by reading the law that no pistol or firearm registration is required because I possess the out of state CPL's, not that I would do it anyway? ...
    That disingenuous loophole only applies to the RI-60 "sales record" for pistols.
    There is no existing requirement to register long guns in MI.

As far as everything else goes - leave all your Ohio State in that state down south and you should be fine.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 01-25-2023 at 05:23 PM.

I am a Forum User
    What about an (Ohio) family member who buys/gives a Michigander a pistol for a gift ? I’ve been told by an ffl all you need to do is fill out registration form and mail it in. Then I’ve been told you have to use an ffl!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by keebz View Post
    What about an (Ohio) family member who buys/gives a Michigander a pistol for a gift ? I’ve been told by an ffl all you need to do is fill out registration form and mail it in. Then I’ve been told you have to use an ffl!
    Anything that crosses state lines between individuals should go through a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by keebz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Anything that crosses state lines between individuals should go through a FFL.
    Serious question here, and not trying to stir the pot. How would Michigan authorities know where the pistol came from when submitting the RI-60? And, if one has both a MI CPL as well as an out-of-state non-resident permit, submitting the RI-60 would be optional, correct?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Serious question here, and not trying to stir the pot. How would Michigan authorities know where the pistol came from when submitting the RI-60? And, if one has both a MI CPL as well as an out-of-state non-resident permit, submitting the RI-60 would be optional, correct?
    That follows my mantra about speeding. It's only illegal if I get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    That's the way I understood it to work as well.
    Though one might make the argument that once the OP moves any resident CCW he had would be defunct, therefore making the 'secondary CCW' no longer a factor.
    What I can tell you is that if you move to this state you do NOT need to send your firearms through an ffl if you physically bring them in. Much against what the buffoon at the Portage PD tried to tell me.
    By state law as I understand it, you'll need to fill out a RI-60 for each pistol, to include any SBRs you have that are under 26", and drop them off at your CLEO. Or, mail them in (what I used to do before I got a non-residence CCW).
    If you have a non-resident CCW from another state, you've got an exception and do not need to turn in a RI-060.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Just an FYI---Michigan does not accept non-resident CPL's from any state for concealed carry purposes, only resident licenses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast