Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    That's the way I understood it to work as well.
    Though one might make the argument that once the OP moves any resident CCW he had would be defunct, therefore making the 'secondary CCW' no longer a factor.
    What I can tell you is that if you move to this state you do NOT need to send your firearms through an ffl if you physically bring them in. Much against what the buffoon at the Portage PD tried to tell me.
    By state law as I understand it, you'll need to fill out a RI-60 for each pistol, to include any SBRs you have that are under 26", and drop them off at your CLEO. Or, mail them in (what I used to do before I got a non-residence CCW).
    If you have a non-resident CCW from another state, you've got an exception and do not need to turn in a RI-060.
    You do not need to turn in RI60s for pistols purchased outside of Michigan when moving to Michigan. They are a sales transaction record, and there's no way to factually/legally complete one in that context.

But anything that crosses state lines as far as a sale requires a FFL in most scenarios. There are a few exceptions, such as multiple residences in different states.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Just an FYI---Michigan does not accept non-resident CPL's from any state for concealed carry purposes, only resident licenses.
    Don't they accept it for people moving to Michigan to speed up the Michigan cpl process?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    Don't they accept it for people moving to Michigan to speed up the Michigan cpl process?
    "For concealed carry purposes" means to conceal carry a gun/

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    "For concealed carry purposes" means to conceal carry a gun/
    And, that is not the question I asked. If you have no idea then say so instead of being illiterate.

I am a Forum User
    And, that is not the question I asked. If you have no idea then say so instead of being illiterate.
    I wasn't addressing your question in my original post, so I have no reason to comment on it now.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for hijacking my thread to argue guys.

Don't forget to pick up our Wolverine grab bag and thanks for becoming BLUE.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    I was asking a question that may help you, but of course people are illiterate.

A somewhat valid question related to the OP" questions. It is clearly printed on the application form though.

An applicant for a Michigan CPL must:
    3. Be a legal resident of Michigan and reside in Michigan for at least six months immediately prior to application. An applicant is a resident of Michigan if at least one of the following applies:
    • The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or official Michigan personal identification card.
    • The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan.

Note: The county clerk shall waive the six-month residency requirement if one of the following applies:
    For a new resident, if the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant’s residency in this state is established.

Sooo...you don't have to get a MI DL and wait 6 months to take the course, or are coming with a LEO exemption, then apply.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 01-29-2023 at 12:44 PM.

MGO Member
    @bcsatch
    Welcome to the clubhouse -- you see how it is

Little squabbles aside, this is a helpful group of people; I've only been in this 'business' a decade, and I learned a lot from the folks here.

>> Michigan is relatively friendly when it comes to firearms.

Well, yeah. But the law is inconsistent, it's a little as if pro- and anti-gun legislators play a kind of death match tic-tac-toe, depending on who gets to be in charge for a while.

I tried to search it here but couldn't find confirmation.. I think™ that while it's easy to get a CPL, you have to carry it with you. And if you forget and are asked to produce it, it is -- or at least used to be -- a felony. That may have been fixed, but it's an illustration of our state of affairs. To this day I'm not really sure whether it would be legal for me to strap a take-down 10/22 to my bicycle rack and head to the range -- my CPL is good for handguns, not rifles, and bicycling = walking, whereas motorcycle = driving, so a handgun strapped on is open carry, sit on a motorcycle = concealed carry. Buyer beware is what I'm trying to say, and don't try to extrapolate from N to N+1. It doesn't work that way.

As a former law enforcement officer, specific rules may apply to you regarding gun-free zones. Dunno if out of state makes a difference here; you'll probably find out when you get your MI CPL.

cheers -mathias

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast