Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

How do I Add Daughter To NFA Trust?

Hi, it's been a couple years.

My daughter is now 20, and after the ATF saying people not on the trust can't shoot my rifle/silencer, I thought it best to add her to the trust. Besides, when I die, she can just take it home. I know the ATF reversed their decision (corrected the error ) it's not really necessary but I still want to add her to the trust itself.

How do I do this? I assume she will submit fingerprints etc, but it's been a number of years since I've thought about this at all and so I'm here looking for help.

Cancel culture started with censorship and went to content moderators and now we have a real problem on our hands. Told you.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Well first of all the NFA has retracted that misunderstanding and said they will repost a correction-it is not prohibited for another person to shoot your NFA items in your presence.

Second, the question of how to add your daughter, or any person you choose, needs to be directed at the person who drafted your trust for you.

If it was a Shyster trust you can just amend the appropriate schedule and add people and assign them a role.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Did the trust myself. Which is why the question is directed here. And I know they retracted their point. I made that clear in the origional post. What is wrong with you? Attitude ! Winder why it's been two years since I posted here last.

I am a Forum User
    Wow! Don't see any attitude in his response. Just trying to point you to legal advice.

Shyster is a member here and a damn fine attorney. Jim Makowski. Look him up or another attorney, have them review your trust and give you expert advice.

No one can answer your question without knowing how you constructed the trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N Glory View Post
    Did the trust myself. Which is why the question is directed here. And I know they retracted their point. I made that clear in the origional post. What is wrong with you? Attitude ! Winder why it's been two years since I posted here last.
    I’m sorry you inferred tone and or attitude in anything I wrote. It was not my intent.

I did see your (parentheses), I posted the information about their mistake because not everyone has seen it and I wasn’t sure why you even mentioned it if you knew it had been rendered null and void-no need to spread anything or repeat anything that isn’t true.

You didn’t mention you did your own trust in the OP, that would have been useful info. As knockoff64 echoed and I stated, the person who drafted your trust is the only one who can tell you how to amend it. In this case you’ll have to look back at whatever resources, models, guidelines and framework you used when you generated it originally to see how those who provided the information initially meant for others to be added, but depending on how you interpreted and wrote it from that guidance your specific methods may or may not be in line with the information you used.

That’s not the best answer or a good one, but when you write your own, changes, amendment and corrections are then your responsibility so only you can answer how to do them.

I am a Forum User
    I understand. I know how gun forums ca be, I've been quite the keyboard warrior myself back in my open carry days. Comes with the territory but I wasnt expecting friendly fire on this topic.

Once I got your reply I was like dang dude ! First and second? Really? Come on man. I said I knew the ATF retracted their BS and you're calling me out so I was like (?) Why? And on the second, I already said I did the trust myself, so I'm over here thinking, Didnt he even reaf my post before sniping at me? Dang.

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Anyone with a post count in the mid 3k range must know something. All accounts together I'm easily over 10 myself.

I guess I'll have to get a lawyer involved because I just don't remember all of how this works.

I spoke with Shyster a few years ago for a while. Heck of a good guy. Talked to Dean Greenblatt too, don't know if he's still around. He let me shoot my first automatic at the Lapeer Pit one day. Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N Glory View Post
    I understand. I know how gun forums ca be, I've been quite the keyboard warrior myself back in my open carry days. Comes with the territory but I wasnt expecting friendly fire on this topic.

Once I got your reply I was like dang dude ! First and second? Really? Come on man. I said I knew the ATF retracted their BS and you're calling me out so I was like (?) Why? And on the second, I already said I did the trust myself, so I'm over here thinking, Didnt he even reaf my post before sniping at me? Dang.

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Anyone with a post count in the mid 3k range must know something. All accounts together I'm easily over 10 myself.

I guess I'll have to get a lawyer involved because I just don't remember all of how this works.

I spoke with Shyster a few years ago for a while. Heck of a good guy. Talked to Dean Greenblatt too, don't know if he's still around. He let me shoot my first automatic at the Lapeer Pit one day. Nice guy.
    No keyboard warrior intent here-just trying to post and answer you any anyone else who might be reading with similar questions. Gun forums or the internet in general are hard to gauge intent or tone from words in a post, in my case if my intent was to call out or put down it would be clear and intentional-nothing like what was posted-but I can see how things get misunderstood, no harm and no foul.

If I could help more or offer concrete or constructive words I would, but without knowing anything about your trust or how you set it up originally it’s probably best you contact someone like Shyster to help. Hopefully it’s an easy conversation and a quick and inexpensive change for you-good luck with it.

I am a Forum User
    I would echo contacting someone like Shyster to go over the language in the trust to understand how you would, if you can, add her as a responsible person. Typically done through an amendment on your trust. If you add her, there's no up front need for fingerprints or photos, only during the next filing of a Form 1 or 4, would she need to fill out a responsible persons form and include prints and photo

Quote Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
    I would echo contacting someone like Shyster to go over the language in the trust to understand how you would, if you can, add her as a responsible person. Typically done through an amendment on your trust. If you add her, there's no up front need for fingerprints or photos, only during the next filing of a Form 1 or 4, would she need to fill out a responsible persons form and include prints and photo
    Regarding what to add her as, a full on RP is not the only option. There are other levels of Trustee and Beneficiaries below the level of RP she could be added as, and still have access to and take over the assets when the time comes. The benefit of these other levels of Trust listing is they do not require filing prints and photos for new applications. All up to the OP how he wants his daughter added and at what level/class to his trust. And yes, advice and guidance from someone like Shyster would allow an informed choice.

I am a Forum User
    How do I contact Shyster? I spoke with him years ago, but I haven't got any contact info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast