Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Act 451

I am a Forum User

Act 451

Not sure is this is the best sub forum to post this but here goes.

I just received notice to renew my CPL and in keeping with the review of required training I also ran through the “Firearms Laws of Michigan” as accessed through the MSP site. I don’t ever recall Act 451 and it doesn’t seem to have any real teeth. I’ve thought for decades that something like this should be required across the nation, just like fire safety, etc. I’ve also heard opposing opinions on gun boards for various reasons too such as it being hijacked by anti-2A types.

Does anybody know if this ever went anywhere at any school district level, even as a piece of paper to satisfy the Act?

The People of the State of Michigan enact:
    ARTICLE 2
    PART 15
    SCHOOL DISTRICTS; POWERS AND DUTIES GENERALLY
    380.1163 Gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils; model program.
    Sec. 1163. (1) Not later than August 1, 2011, the department shall develop or adopt, and shall make available to schools, 1 or more model programs for gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils. The model program shall adopt or be based on the “Eddie Eagle” gunsafe accident prevention program developed by the national rifle association.
    (2) Each school district and public school academy is encouraged to adopt and implement the model gun safety instruction program developed under subsection (1) in at least grade 3 beginning in the 2011-2012 school year.
    History: Add. 2010, Act 367, Imd. ***. Dec. 22, 2010. Popular name: Act 451

Marketplace Moderator
    A gun safety class would be much better for the kids then a find out which gender you want to be class. Just sayin'

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    A gun safety class would be much better for the kids then a find out which gender you want to be class. Just sayin'
    Right? There’s something like 3M+ firearms in the US so it would only make sense to teach kids basic safety if they came across one, but apparently common sense left the discussion long ago. Anyway, I found it interesting that there was enough impetus in the MI Legislature a dozen years ago to attempt something that really was “for the children”.