Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

AR upper receiver/barrel work - looking for gunsmith or AR build expert to help

Hello,
    I am looking to have my AR upper receiver lapped/trued and the barrel bedded for a tighter lockup between the two. I can feel a little bit of play between my barrel and upper receiver. I know it is not necessary and that my AR shoots better than I. This is more of a "because I can" type thing. Plus it satisfies my OCD .

However, I am having a hard time finding someone that will do the work or even knows what I am talking about.

I have contacted several local gunsmiths and they either don't offer the service or seem to be unsure of what I am asking them to do. So, I hesitate in taking my AR to them to have the work done...unless we are both clear on what my goal is.

I don't have to the tools to do it my self, and there are a couple of steps I am not comfortable with.

Does anybody know of an AR expert/gunsmith that might be able to do this? I saw another thread recommending a gunsmith with the initials DJ. I called and spoke with them, but not sure it registered what I want. I am sure they do good work, but they may not be a good fit for this.

Suggestions? I am willing to work with someone that may not be a "gunsmith" but that definitely knows their way around an AR.

Thanks,
    Ryan

If your barrel is loose or you can feel play between the barrel and receiver the barrel nut wasn't properly torqued down. Sounds like you understand that unless you're making a match type rifle lapping the upper face and bedding the extension are of dubious benefit. Any halfway competent gunsmith should be able to do it, but quite frankly I'd just get a barrel wrench the laping tool and some rockset or loctite 609/620/680 and do it myself. Plenty of videos online showing how to lap the upper and bed the barrel extension. The Wheeler lapping tool is $34.99 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-15675...s%2C170&sr=8-2

Is it the upper and lower that gives you the feeling?
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    If your barrel is loose or you can feel play between the barrel and receiver the barrel nut wasn't properly torqued down. Sounds like you understand that unless you're making a match type rifle lapping the upper face and bedding the extension are of dubious benefit. Any halfway competent gunsmith should be able to do it, but quite frankly I'd just get a barrel wrench the laping tool and some rockset or loctite 609/620/680 and do it myself. Plenty of videos online showing how to lap the upper and bed the barrel extension. The Wheeler lapping tool is $34.99 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-15675...s%2C170&sr=8-2
    Yeah. I understand what needs to be done (conceptually); but am hesitant to invest in all the tools and materials when I most likely wouldn't use them again for quite a while. Was looking to just have someone do it.

But not gonna lie, there is a part of me that does just want to do it myself. That way I can know it was done the way I want.

Regardless, if someone knows a good smith or armorer that can do it, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks...

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Is it the upper and lower that gives you the feeling?
    Nah...I know what upper/lower play is all about and a few ways to resolve that. I'm good there.

Marketplace Moderator
    Look up American Arms Engineering. He was Blackwater armorer and fixes any screwed up AR15's. He lives out on 27 Mile Road in Ray Twp.. He was a US military armorer also. If he cannot help you, nobody can.
    American Arms Engineering 1-586-944-6577 Good Luck

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    Look up American Arms Engineering. He was Blackwater armorer and fixes any screwed up AR15's. He lives out on 27 Mile Road in Ray Twp.. He was a US military armorer also. If he cannot help you, nobody can.
    American Arms Engineering 1-586-944-6577 Good Luck
    Is his name "Ron"? If so, my Internet research seems to show he passed away in Oct 2021.
    Last edited by GunnerGSP; 02-04-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Marketplace Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerGSP View Post
    Is his name "Ron"? If so, my Internet research seems to show he passed away in Oct 2021.
    Sad to hear. He has gone over two of my rifles. He was very good at what he did. RIP Ron