Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: GET OFF MY LAKE

GET OFF MY LAKE

DNR News

Feb. 10, 2023
    Deteriorating ice may prompt early shanty removal
    ice shanties

Anglers taking advantage of winter ice fishing should keep a close watch on ice conditions, as unseasonable weather may prompt shanty removal prior to the seasonal dates required by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

“Throughout most of the Lower Peninsula, Mother Nature unfortunately didn’t cooperate with us this year,” said acting Lt. Jeff Rabbers, DNR Law Enforcement Division. “As disappointing as it is that many anglers must cut their season short, safety is the DNR’s main priority. We want to make sure that everyone has ample opportunity to remove their shanties before conditions become unsafe.”

People venturing onto ice should use extreme caution as temperatures begin to rise or fluctuate. The repeated thawing and refreezing of ice weakens its strength, decreasing its ability to support the additional weight of people, snowmobiles, ORVs and shanties. Deteriorating ice, water currents and high winds increase the probability of pressure cracks, which can leave anglers and others stranded on ice floes or at risk of falling through the ice.

Shanty owners whose structures fall through the ice are subject to penalties of up to 30 days in jail, fines up to $500, or both. If a shanty is removed by a government agency, the court can require the owner to reimburse that agency for up to three times the cost of removal.

Learn more at Michigan.gov/IceSafety.
    Removal dates

Daily use of ice shanties is permitted anywhere in Michigan if ice conditions allow and if the shanties are removed from the ice at the end of each day.

Seasonal removal dates begin with Lake St. Clair, located northeast of Detroit. This year, shanties must be removed from Lake St. Clair before sunset Sunday, Feb. 26.

Shanties in the northern Lower Peninsula must be removed by midnight Wednesday, March 15. Those counties include Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Bay, Benzie, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Clare, Crawford, Emmet, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Iosco, Isabella, Kalkaska, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Missaukee, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon and Wexford.

Ice shanties in the remaining counties of the Lower Peninsula must be removed by midnight Wednesday, March 1.

In the Upper Peninsula, on Michigan-Wisconsin boundary waters, ice shanties must be removed by midnight Wednesday, March 15.

All other bodies of water in the Upper Peninsula must have ice shanties removed by midnight Friday, March 31.
    Spring fishing

The end of ice fishing season means it’s time to start preparing for spring fishing. Make sure to get your fishing license and check out the 2023 fishing guide when they become available March 1, ahead of the annual fishing license renewal period starting April 1. Find more information on licenses and fishing opportunities at Michigan.gov/Fishing.

With warm weather on the horizon, many anglers will soon target fish species by boat. Make sure you’re boater safety certified – in Michigan, anyone born on or after June 30, 1996, must successfully complete an approved boater safety education course to operate a vessel. Find more information on boater safety online at Michigan.gov/RecreationalSafety.

Note to editors: An accompanying photo is available below for download. Caption information follows.

Shanties: The Michigan Department of Natural Resources reminds anglers that ice shanty removal dates are quickly approaching and to always use extreme caution when on the ice. Regardless of the set removal dates, changing ice conditions could require removal before those dates because all shanties must be removed once ice can no longer safely support them. Photo of Black Lake in northern Michigan, Feb. 4.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I have been too chicken to go out there. The way the weather has been I trust the ice like I trust a Jeffrey Dahmer dinner party...
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    I have been too chicken to go out there. The way the weather has been I trust the ice like I trust a Jeffrey Dahmer dinner party...
    For some reason I just can't picture you drowning worms with a pole and hook. No disrespect.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    For some reason I just can't picture you drowning worms with a pole and hook. No disrespect.
    LOL I hunt and fish and I used to do both a lot. Not so much anymore too little time. Going to try to do more of both this year.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Some of my favorite type of fishing was through the ice, freezing temperatures ( never used a shanty ) a little brandy or bourbon to keep your inside warm, tiny sips of course, I never cared if I caught anything it was just being out there, as I got older the ice scares me more and more, I bet it's been at least ten years since I've been out, one of my favorite places to go as a kid was Lake Nepessing in Lapeer, we use to have a small farm on 80 acres and we had a path right to the lake down the road from the boat club, fun lake for winter activities, wish I still lived there.

]
    Last edited by dramey82; 02-12-2023 at 07:19 AM.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

The ice on the west end White Lake has been too thin for safety this year - no fishermen at all. There has been some fishing on the east end.

Very strange winter. The lake froze over December 24 - 25 in 25 MPH winds! Very rough. The ice mostly melted and re-froze the first week of February - smooth as glass - it would be perfect today for skating, ice boats, or fishing - bright sun, 40 F, moderate wind but still too thin to go out.
    warmer weather coming so probably going to melt again. Sigh.

MGO Member
    Plenty of Ice up here, but its getting slushy on top with the warm and the crap we got here the last 2 days, (weight on top of Ice) not many times left it will be enjoyable, Walking in 3" for slop is no fun, wife and I are going out tomorrow to see if we can get a few Splake and Some perch dragging flip over portable by hand now days are numbered for sure this warm keeps up.

MGO Member
    Since we are reminiscing.

Rifle River Rec. Tip up fishing slab Perch, drinking boones farm.

Sure miss my fishing buddy.

MGO Member
    Beautiful day to be on a lake today!!!