Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Pheasant Hunter Shot By Dog - Really?

Another example of poor muzzle discipline:

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/02/m...y-her-dog.html

Michigan pheasant hunter accidentally shot by her dog
    By Brandon Champion | February 17, 2023

SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, MI – A Michigan hunter was taken to the hospital after she was accidentally shot by her dog.

According to an official report from the Department of Natural Resources, the incident occurred in late-January when conservation officer Lisa Taube responded to a pheasant preserve in Shiawassee County.

The female hunter was waiting for birds to be planted and had a firearm leaning against her body. The butt stock was on the ground and the muzzle was pointing upward.

The hunter’s dog jumped onto her, and its paws hit the gun causing the safety to be disengaged and the trigger to be pressed, shooting the hunter in the left shoulder and cheek, according to the report.

She was transported by ambulance to Hurley Medical Center in Flint for treatment.....

I am a Forum User
    I could see it happening. Dogs get excited when waiting to hunt, they can jump against a hunter (and their firearm) and could pull a trigger. Depending on where the safety was on the gun, I guess it could happen.

Usually when dogs are around, I cradle my shotgun to keep excited dogs from getting it wet/dirty/etc. sounds like she had it butt down on ground.

But yes, poor muzzle discipline.

I am a Forum User
    A friend in High School at the time, had his shotgun leaning against a tree, his dog on a leash. He watered the weeds, while his dog and leash knocked over the H & R single 20, the gun fired bird shot into his left knee. He's been walking with a limp since 1975

Nope, I can't see it without significant error in firearms handling by the human. What brand/type/model of shotgun? I can't think of a single shotgun amongst the 7(ish) I own/have owned than did not have a distinct push of the safety and trigger mechanism. "while waiting for birds to be planted" ?? Why was the gun loaded at that point in time?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alinc100 View Post
    Nope, I can't see it without significant error in firearms handling by the human. What brand/type/model of shotgun? I can't think of a single shotgun amongst the 7(ish) I own/have owned than did not have a distinct push of the safety and trigger mechanism. "while waiting for birds to be planted" ?? Why was the gun loaded at that point in time?
    When hunting, MY gun is loaded from the time I get out of my vehicle until I get back to it.
    Do you carry your pistol unloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    When hunting, MY gun is loaded from the time I get out of my vehicle until I get back to it.
    Nope, I sure don't . But when I am at a range, shooting a sport such as IDPA my firearm(or anyone else's) isn't loaded when I, or anyone else is downrange, pasting targets,totaling scores. Planting birds in a field would imply to me there was a human down range in the field ,setting birds for the hunters and dogs to train,find,flush. Would you be comfortable planting birds 30,40,50 yards ahead of a group of hunters with loaded shotguns? Would you feel comfortable hunting pheasants on state land if you, carrying your loaded shotgun, from the very moment you stepped out of your car, had another group of hunters 10 yards behind you doing the very same thing? Using your logic, they need to be ready to shoot at anytime,right?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alinc100 View Post
    Nope, I sure don't . But when I am at a range, shooting a sport such as IDPA my firearm(or anyone else's) isn't loaded when I, or anyone else is downrange, pasting targets,totaling scores. Planting birds in a field would imply to me there was a human down range in the field ,setting birds for the hunters and dogs to train,find,flush. Would you be comfortable planting birds 30,40,50 yards ahead of a group of hunters with loaded shotguns? Would you feel comfortable hunting pheasants on state land if you, carrying your loaded shotgun, from the very moment you stepped out of your car, had another group of hunters 10 yards behind you doing the very same thing? Using your logic, they need to be ready to shoot at anytime,right?

Yes & Yes

MGO Member
    Do you also rest your loaded firearm’s buttstock on the ground, with the muzzle pointing up at your own body parts?
    Last edited by Warhorse; 02-19-2023 at 08:21 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Do you also rest your loaded firearm’s buttstock on the ground, with the muzzle pointing up at your own body parts?
    Not as a general rule.
    You have additional information that that happened in this case?

MGO Member
    Not as a general rule.
    You have additional information that that happened in this case?
    From the article that was posted here in the OP's post.

"The female hunter was waiting for birds to be planted and had a firearm leaning against her body. The butt stock was on the ground and the muzzle was pointing upward".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast