Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Selling a braced pistol after 1/31/2023 discussion

I am still seeing some AR type pistols for sale on this site and other sites.

Is that a problem if sold with a brace on it? Seeing as the ATF now classifies them a SBR's after 1/31/2023 isn't that felony territory for selling a SBR without a form 4?

What if sold without a brace (brace removed)? Seems that would allow the seller to be felony free but what if the new owner re-installed the brace, or even added new one, it seems that would constitute building or assembling a SBR as it would be assembled after 1/31/2023.

It also seems that the new owner couldn't even apply for the amnesty SBR registration (free registration) as it would not be owned by the person applying before 1/31/2023.

What about taking a braced AR pistol (now considered an SBR as of 1/31/2023 by ATF) across state lines? Seeing as it is now (after 1/31/2023) considered a SBR by the ATF wouldn't it need to have a submitted permission letter from the ATF to do so, seems the problem here that is it is not a "registered" SBR so how would the owner get permission from the ATF. I suppose it could be taken across state lines without a brace but if a brace reattached in another state then in felony territory?

No part of the above is advise, or suggestions, it is just to get a thread and discussion started on the above. (seems important to understand these things)

MGO Member
    Undercover atf agent

MGO Member
    OP raises some interesting questions. Those braced pistols are kinda in hot potato territory right now. Might be time to start investing in some 16" barrels and a barrel wrench...

Moved to the General Firearms Discussion forum.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    FPC just filed for an injunction.

Sell the pistol, and the brace as separate transactions.