Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4138 of 2023 (PA 19 of 2023)
    Weapons: firearms; license or background check for purchase of firearms; require. Amends secs. 1, 2, 2a, 2b, 12 & 14a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.).
    Last Action: 4/13/2023 assigned PA 19'23

HB 4142 of 2023 (PA 18 of 2023)
    Weapons: firearms; references to pistol in penal code; update. Amends secs. 223 & 232a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223 & 750.232a). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4138'23
    Last Action: 4/13/2023 Analysis File Added

HB 4143 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; references in sentencing guidelines; update. Amends secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4138'23
    Last Action: 4/13/2023 bill ordered enrolled

We already know all of this...just "for the record"...
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    So I’ve read the new laws as approved a few times now. Over read this thread as well. Can someone put it in lawman’s terms so I can understand ? What’s changed for a long gun private party sale ? It seems as though some sort of purchase permit will be required ? Will you get that from the sheriffs office ? If you have a CPL can one forego this purchase permit ?

I assume a sale at a FFL remains the same as they’ve always done a background check ?

Jeff

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bartojc View Post
    So I’ve read the new laws as approved a few times now. Over read this thread as well. Can someone put it in lawman’s terms so I can understand ? What’s changed for a long gun private party sale ? It seems as though some sort of purchase permit will be required ? Will you get that from the sheriffs office ? If you have a CPL can one forego this purchase permit ?

I assume a sale at a FFL remains the same as they’ve always done a background check ?

Jeff
    Once the law goes into effect, all firearms sales will be done the way pistol sales are done now. With CPL you fill out an RI-60, without CPL you obtain a license to purchase from the local police department and then purchase. Doesn’t matter if pistol or long gun. Can’t speak for FFL’s. Been a long time since I purchased something through on and can’t remember if they do background checks for long guns.

MGO Board of Directors

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Not sure if this is the place to ask... but saw a ad here for handgun for sale, stating that you need a pur have permit for private sale, cpl is no longer valid for private sale? Is this correct ?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to ask... but saw a ad here for handgun for sale, stating that you need a pur have permit for private sale, cpl is no longer valid for private sale? Is this correct ?
    CPLL is still valid for private sales.
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by matt11 View Post
    CPLL is still valid for private sales.
    This is correct.

For a reference as to what will be changing next year when this bill goes into effect, please see:

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?501982

I am a Forum User
    Ok thanks,,, was pretty sure that wasn't till next year, just wanted to check , thank u

I am a Forum User
    Not sure if anyone can answer this. It was my understanding that is a guy bought a handgun in MI legally, face to face, both parties having a CPL that failing to turn in the form was a $250 fine. Going after the 10 day period could also result in the same $250 fine giving no incentive to do so if you missed the 10 day window. Is anyone able to speak to how this law would impact a guy differently? Much appreciated.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Not sure if anyone can answer this. It was my understanding that is a guy bought a handgun in MI legally, face to face, both parties having a CPL that failing to turn in the form was a $250 fine. Going after the 10 day period could also result in the same $250 fine giving no incentive to do so if you missed the 10 day window. Is anyone able to speak to how this law would impact a guy differently? Much appreciated.
    The duty to turn in the RI60 would fall on the seller, rather than the buyer, in this scenario under the new law. No sanction on buyer for failure to turn in, since they are not the party responsible for doing so anymore, though they might bear some inconvenience to "prove" ownership later if it is not.
    Last edited by Corsten; 11-10-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast