Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWabbit View Post
    3/8/2023 passed; given immediate effect Roll Call # 23 Yeas 56 Nays 53 Excused 0 Not Voting 1
    Passed?
    Passed the House, now on to the Senate...23 is the roll call number. 56 yes - 53 no. 0 excused, 1 didn't vote.
    The ONE that chose not to vote is William Bruck (a Republican) from District 30 (Monroe County).
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 03-09-2023 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    The one that has my spidey senses tingling is:

MCL 28.422a
    Sec. 2a. (1) The following individuals are not required to
    obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, possess, use,
    or transport a firearm:
    (d) An individual purchasing a firearm other than a pistol who
    has a federal national instant criminal background check performed
    on the individual by a federally licensed firearms dealer not more
    than 5 days before the purchase.
    Doesn't even say the background check has to have cleared, just that it was run.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4138 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; license or background check for purchase of firearms; require. Amends secs. 2, 2a, 2b, 12 & 14a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.).
    Last Action: 3/14/2023 Analysis File Added

HB 4142 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; references to pistol in penal code; update. Amends secs. 223 & 232a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223 & 750.232a). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4138'23

HB 4143 of 2023
    Weapons: firearms; references in sentencing guidelines; update. Amends secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4138'23

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...SFA-4138-L.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    So what does this mean if you were to sell to another member on MGO?, do you have to go through a FFL?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delg5754erg View Post
    So what does this mean if you were to sell to another member on MGO?, do you have to go through a FFL?
    Correct unless you know another way to obtain a NIC's check. And you will have to obtain a purchase permit prior to the sale taking place regardless if you are a CPL holder or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Passed the House, now on to the Senate...23 is the roll call number. 56 yes - 53 no. 0 excused, 1 didn't vote.
    The ONE that chose not to vote is William Bruck (a Republican) from District 30 (Monroe County).
    Thanks, I need to start looking at this crap after im awake for a bit.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Correct unless you know another way to obtain a NIC's check. And you will have to obtain a purchase permit prior to the sale taking place regardless if you are a CPL holder or not.
    I don't think the purchase permit part is accurate?

Referencing House Bill #4138 (and Senate Bill #076 too, for that matter):

Section 2a(1)(a) still exists, as far as I can see - this is the exemption for CPL holders regarding purchase permits. It just now applies to all firearms, not just pistols.

Section 5b (as referenced in Section 2a(1)(a)) also still exists, unchanged.

Combined with Section 12(1)(f) - the out of state CPL holder clause - pretty much everything a CPL holder can currently do regarding pistol sales/purchases remains unchanged...but would also apply to long guns if passed. Again..."as far as I can see."

Please set me straight if I am misreading something.

((This is from the "As Passed House, March 8 (and March 16 for SB 76)" versions, btw...))

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klobbermeister View Post
    I don't think the purchase permit part is accurate?

Referencing House Bill #4138 (and Senate Bill #076 too, for that matter):

Section 2a(1)(a) still exists, as far as I can see - this is the exemption for CPL holders regarding purchase permits. It just now applies to all firearms, not just pistols.

Section 5b (as referenced in Section 2a(1)(a)) also still exists, unchanged.

Combined with Section 12(1)(f) - the out of state CPL holder clause - pretty much everything a CPL holder can currently do regarding pistol sales/purchases remains unchanged...but would also apply to long guns if passed. Again..."as far as I can see."

Please set me straight if I am misreading something.

((This is from the "As Passed House, March 8 (and March 16 for SB 76)" versions, btw...))
    I hope you're right, these new proposed laws are so difficult to follow and I'm not very good at reading legalese. Of course that's part of the aim, make it difficult and convoluted so when you inevitably do make a mistake you're screwed.

MGO Board of Directors

I hope you're right, these new proposed laws are so difficult to follow and I'm not very good at reading legalese. Of course that's part of the aim, make it difficult and convoluted so when you inevitably do make a mistake you're screwed.
    I have the same problem, I get caught up in the legal "if, or, unless...ect) Think about how LEO will be interpreting.
    I am waiting for one of these new laws to totally screw up Mi hunting. the 10 year old holding the rifle they shot a deer with for the the FP or even DNR post, will they have to go after that parent? How about loaning a deer rifle to a family member? can a 12-18 year even have a gun to hunt with?
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Your post brought the following to my mind:

“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”

― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/319...-observed-said
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast