Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4144 of 2023 - Provide penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor

HB 4144 of 2023
    Crimes: weapons; penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor; provide for.
    Last Action: 3/1/2023 bill electronically reproduced 03/01/2023
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4144 of 2023
    Crimes: weapons; penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor; provide for. Amends sec. 15 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.435) & adds sec. 9.
    Last Action: 3/1/2023 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...9-BCACBB74.pdf
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I am disheartened to see so few comments on these new infringements. Are there Rs worth supporting who will push back?

I am a Forum User
    Anybody want to bet that this will be used in conjunction with the law banning carrying in places with liquor licenses to nail people who leave their pistol in their car in the walmart parking lot?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberrysurprise View Post
    Anybody want to bet that this will be used in conjunction with the law banning carrying in places with liquor licenses to nail people who leave their pistol in their car in the walmart parking lot?
    Sure. These people do not care about children accessing firearms. They want to add every possible burden to the 2A and they want to criminalize ownership of private arms in any way they can. The end game is always confiscation. I’m excited to see how many weasels support this trash.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4144 of 2023
    Crimes: weapons; penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor; provide for. Amends sec. 15 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.435) & adds sec. 9.
    Last Action: 3/14/2023 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...9-FCF8D09B.pdf

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GadsdenGalt View Post
    I am disheartened to see so few comments on these new infringements. Are there Rs worth supporting who will push back?
    The one Republican who has forcefully pushed back against HB 4144 and the other Democratic gun control bills has been derided on this MGO Forum as "....a lunatic as state party chair...."

You should not be surprised that few Republicans are willing to endure media slurs for gun owners. Our gratitude is fairly thin.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The one Republican who has forcefully pushed back against HB 4144 and the other Democratic gun control bills has been derided on this MGO Forum as "....a lunatic as state party chair...."

You should not be surprised that few Republicans are willing to endure media slurs for gun owners. Our gratitude is fairly thin.
    Yes, I said that about her. She's too rough around the edges, too Trump/QAnon/coarse populist, to be appealing to the voters we need to capture to make a majority. She's even off-putting to a lot of Republicans.

There are instances where likening a political move or legislative action to something done under the Reich in pursuit of its amoral ends makes sense. I'm not sure this is one of those instances and I don't think it gained us anything for having phrased it that way.

Furthermore, what people fail to appreciate is that invoking the Nazis does not resonate with modern people the way it did with people who were alive during that period or in its immediate aftermath. It's nearly as useful with young voters as describing the futility and cost of a strategy to Pickett's Charge. Most people aren't students of history, and WWII is now as much "history" as the War of 1812 is. It feeds into the narrative that we are fixated on the past (the one where all the cis white people were oppressive and so forth, mind you) and in the minds of many, though surely not all, makes us look all the more detached from modern society.

Gina Johnsen's remarks, coupled with the impact of today's ruing in the Crumbley matter, seem a better PR angle to take in opposition to these bills than dropping the Nazi card.
    Last edited by Corsten; 03-23-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    Yes, I said that about her. She's too rough around the edges, too Trump/QAnon/coarse populist, to be appealing to the voters we need to capture to make a majority. She's even off-putting to a lot of Republicans.

There are instances where likening a political move or legislative action to something done under the Reich in pursuit of its amoral ends makes sense. I'm not sure this is one of those instances and I don't think it gained us anything for having phrased it that way.

Furthermore, what people fail to appreciate is that invoking the Nazis does not resonate with modern people the way it did with people who were alive during that period or in its immediate aftermath. It's nearly as useful with young voters as describing the futility and cost of a strategy to Pickett's Charge. Most people aren't students of history, and WWII is now as much "history" as the War of 1812 is. It feeds into the narrative that we are fixated on the past (the one where all the cis white people were oppressive and so forth, mind you) and in the minds of many, though surely not all, makes us look all the more detached from modern society.

Gina Johnsen's remarks, coupled with the impact of today's ruing in the Crumbley matter, seem a better PR angle to take in opposition to these bills than dropping the Nazi card.
    This right here is correct. Karamo isn't doing gun rights any favor by pushing away all but the most far right people. If she and people who think like her continue to dominate the MI GOP through 2024, they'll essentially forfeit that election. They'll claim it's stolen, of course, and continue to marginalize themselves, not realizing they did it to themselves.

I'm an Independent with a capitol 'I' and I vote for individuals, not parties. QAnon, Trumpy politicians don't get my vote, and I don't care if their Democrat opponent is anti-gun; I'm not making a deal with the devil to defend just one of many rights, especially when that right can defend itself at the grassroots level if necessary. I often vote third party, and I vote write-in when every option sucks, to boost the percentages of conscientious objectors to increasingly polarized politics.

I'm glad the redistricting landed my district with a Democratic senator for the first time in a generation, because being their constituent gives me the opportunity to influence that party toward a more pro-gun position. Treating gun rights in Michigan as completely and eternally inseparable from the GOP is tying those rights to the deck of a sinking ship, at least as long as people like Karamo are at the helm.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    This right here is correct. Karamo isn't doing gun rights any favor by pushing away all but the most far right people. If she and people who think like her continue to dominate the MI GOP through 2024, they'll essentially forfeit that election. They'll claim it's stolen, of course, and continue to marginalize themselves, not realizing they did it to themselves.

I'm an Independent with a capitol 'I' and I vote for individuals, not parties. QAnon, Trumpy politicians don't get my vote, and I don't care if their Democrat opponent is anti-gun; I'm not making a deal with the devil to defend just one of many rights, especially when that right can defend itself at the grassroots level if necessary. I often vote third party, and I vote write-in when every option sucks, to boost the percentages of conscientious objectors to increasingly polarized politics.

I'm glad the redistricting landed my district with a Democratic senator for the first time in a generation, because being their constituent gives me the opportunity to influence that party toward a more pro-gun position. Treating gun rights in Michigan as completely and eternally inseparable from the GOP is tying those rights to the deck of a sinking ship, at least as long as people like Karamo are at the helm.
    Karamo's point about the Holocaust is true and demonstrates her grasp of history. Waffengesetze 1938 was passed in March 1938 to disarm Jews and other regime opponents. It was rammed through to ensure the safety of the Nazi thugs who executed the Novemberpogrome - Crystal Night - on November 9, 1938. Nazi SA thugs were all cowards and didn't relish the prospect of being shot by Jews.

Novemberpogrome was the opening act of the Holocaust. It was the direct result of gun controls. Waffengesetze 1938 specifically included 'safe storage' requirements.

Where do you think the Democrats get their gun control innovations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast