Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Member
    If I'm reading this correctly, HB 4150 would also make it illegal for a CPL holder to carry into a bank or credit union.

I am a Forum User
    This sounds like it just strengthens laws against carrying without a CPL, perhaps a preemptive legal maneuver to make permitless carry more difficult in the future.

MGO Member
    Correct. Not that anyone ever goes in and robs banks and shoots folks.

MGO Member
    I just got home from meeting with my rep in district 75. She was having a meet and greet with voters and it was myself, another couple, and the Clinton county prosecutor.

I brought up my concerns with bills 4149 & 4150 concerning the state buildings AND any property with a liquor license. I brought up the concerns of CPL holders from my own experiences as a father and husband, whose spouse is also a CPL holder.

I mentioned how the wording of the ban on government buildings and structures bans places such as highway rest areas and state parks. It means when if wife is coming home from traveling by herself and uses a rest stop at 12:30 at night, she wouldn't be allowed to have her sidearm with her.

I mentioned how the liquor license verbiage change makes it illegal to carry anywhere with a liquor license and how broad of a scope that is with how lax our state has gotten in giving liquor licenses to just about anyone. Every gas station has a "COLD BEER!" sign in the window now. That means every gas station, grocery store, convenience store, etc that has a liquor license would be off limits for a CPL holder to carry in.

The Clinton county prosecutor was on board with me, 100%. His exact words are "CPL holders are law abiding citizens and not the group you should make laws against."

The rep showed some ignorance and said "Why cant you carry in Meijer?"

I said "Because they have a liquor license."

"Why do they need a liquor license?"

Because everywhere that sells alcohol is required to have one. Not just bars and taverns. They sell beer, liquor, wine, spirits...they have a license. Be it open or closed container.

She said "So if this passes, why cant you just carry in a highway rest area bathroom? Nobody would see it right?"

I said "So you're encouraging CPL holders to break the law?"

"Well, how would you get caught?"

"Lets say its summer and you drop something, bend down to pick it up and your shirt rides up. Someone sees your pistols grip poke out from underneath and calls the police. They show up. You violated the law?"

So she asks the prosecutor "Would you actually prosecute a CPL holder for that?"

He said "Yeah if you made it a law, because that's my job. They carried in a gun free zone. My job isn't whether I agree with it or not."

By the end of the 2 hour long chat she SEEMED pretty interested in what I brought up and asked if she could keep some of the notes and print offs I had brought to back my statements. She didn't know a lot of things and admitted that. So we shall see. Maybe I can flip one.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by quick86 View Post
    I just got home from meeting with my rep in district 75. She was having a meet and greet with voters and it was myself, another couple, and the Clinton county prosecutor.

I brought up my concerns with bills 4149 & 4150 concerning the state buildings AND any property with a liquor license. I brought up the concerns of CPL holders from my own experiences as a father and husband, whose spouse is also a CPL holder.

I mentioned how the wording of the ban on government buildings and structures bans places such as highway rest areas and state parks. It means when if wife is coming home from traveling by herself and uses a rest stop at 12:30 at night, she wouldn't be allowed to have her sidearm with her.

I mentioned how the liquor license verbiage change makes it illegal to carry anywhere with a liquor license and how broad of a scope that is with how lax our state has gotten in giving liquor licenses to just about anyone. Every gas station has a "COLD BEER!" sign in the window now. That means every gas station, grocery store, convenience store, etc that has a liquor license would be off limits for a CPL holder to carry in.

The Clinton county prosecutor was on board with me, 100%. His exact words are "CPL holders are law abiding citizens and not the group you should make laws against."

Because everywhere that sells alcohol is required to have one. Not just bars and taverns. They sell beer, liquor, wine, spirits...they have a license. Be it open or closed container.

She said "So if this passes, why cant you just carry in a highway rest area bathroom? Nobody would see it right?"

"Lets say its summer and you drop something, bend down to pick it up and your shirt rides up. Someone sees your pistols grip poke out from underneath and calls the police. They show up. You violated the law?"

So she asks the prosecutor "Would you actually prosecute a CPL holder for that?"

He said "Yeah if you made it a law, because that's my job. They carried in a gun free zone. My job isn't whether I agree with it or not."

By the end of the 2 hour long chat she SEEMED pretty interested in what I brought up and asked if she could keep some of the notes and print offs I had brought to back my statements. She didn't know a lot of things and admitted that. So we shall see. Maybe I can flip one.
    First, thank you for going to that meeting.

The level of ignorance of some of our elected representatives you outlined here is frightening.

not to mention the fact that I drive past the county municipal building to get mah donuts and pasties -- that would be illegal, since I have to go through the county office parking lot to get to the bakery.

It's not well thought out, and pure knee-jerk Capitolization (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by quick86 View Post

Good work! Thanks for doing that. I hope she comes around to our side of things.

MGO Member
    Good lord she doesn't sound very bright. Who doesn't know that you have to have a liquor license to sell alcohol? And her first reaction to your concerns is to say just break the law.

We are doomed.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Good lord she doesn't sound very bright. Who doesn't know that you have to have a liquor license to sell alcohol? And her first reaction to your concerns is to say just break the law.

We are doomed.
    Break the law, get your gun(s) taken away...mission accomplished...one way or another!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for taking time to do that @quick86!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast