Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

Desert Tech MDRX

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Desert Tech MDRX? If so:

Accuracy and reliability?

One of the main features is the ability to swap calibers easily. If one were to swap calibers and optics how much would that affect scope zero? Obviously I would expect some shift but I have read conflicting information on this. Some say zero effect some say significant.

Any other concerns I should be aware of?

I am thinking about a 16" 5.56mm base and a 20" .308 or 6.5 CM. I would run some sort of LVPO on larger caliber/calibers and possibly an ACOG on the 5.56 setup.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I own one in 5.56. Mine has been 100% reliable so far, but i admit that I bought it last fall and only have a couple hundred rounds through it. The adjustable gas block works perfectly. The gun operates flawlessly suppressed and unsuppressed.

It is very heavy for it's size, but it's not terrible to hold and shoot because the weight is close to your body. I've never done a caliber swap, but I imagine a re-zero would be required. Location of the controls are excellent. The factory trigger isn't bad, but I did install a Jard on mine and would recommend the upgrade. The forward ejection option is neat.

I have to admit, it's not as accurate as I had hoped. I need to shoot mine more to give specific numbers. Mine is NOT a sub-moa rifle. I think I'd be lucky if it was 2 MOA accurate. Will you hit a silhouette at 200 yards? Absolutely. But your grouping will probably be a bit looser than you want.

And because everyone like images:

Name:  20220526_020502.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  96.2 KB

Don't own one, but have shot one a few times in both 223 and 308.

Pretty much echoes what Suede says. Not great accuracy and heavy.

Swapping barrels and optics being way off??? Someone doesn't know how to index properly (assuming two optics) or keep notes (same optic at same index).
    I'd toss that one out as operator error or just plain ignorance. It only takes 3 shots to zero and confirm anyways. So you're not going to be down a half day re-sighting.

I'm curious - why would you want an Acog if you already had the LPVO. In my opinion, the LPVO will do what the Acog does and just as well.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuedePflow View Post
    I'm curious - why would you want an Acog if you already had the LPVO. In my opinion, the LPVO will do what the Acog does and just as well.
    l\\

Mainly I want different scopes dialed in for different calibers. I like ACOGs but I feel I want more magnification for big boy calibers.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Member
    I have the original MDR, the MDRX isn't substantially different at least in ways that the barrel locks in and caliber change over.

I have found mine to be plenty accurate for a battle rifle. It is not up to the standards of a precision bolt rifle.
    It weighs about the same as an AR-10 308 gun. Yup, it is heavier than most AR-15 5.56 guns.
    I find it reasonable to shoot offhand as most of the weight is close to your shoulder.
    I have not tested caliber change over point-of-aim repeatability but it should be quite good considering how the barrel locks into the action. I would not however change the optics at the same time, if you do be very selective on the mounting system. I run a LPVO 1-8 and think this is about right for the gun.

What's hard for me is basic operation. Old hands, compromised by physical damage and not as strong as I was in my misspent youth. Some of the controls in the MDR require more strength than my hands have.

Jim