Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Hunter Safety

Hunter Safety

Just started the hunter safety trainer certification. Was pretty easy to run through the application (already a Chief RSO among other certs).
    So we'll have an in house instructor to knock these things out. Traditional 2 day, or online and field day, bowhunter and trapper.
    Unfortunately my assigned RSEES administrator is way down in Lansing (nothing way up here, not even in Roscommon) - but it will be done soon.

Watch this space.

~Masterchief

I am a Forum User
    How would I go about scheduling the field day for my son who is 14 with you?

MGO Member
    Good that you are getting certified to teach HS.
    Demand for training exceeds class offerings downstate. I expect that it does up north too.

MDNR requires two certified HS instructors to teach a class. One certified instructor can't teach a class.
    "Two-deep instruction: A minimum of two certified hunter education instructors are required for all classes and appropriate outings."
    Reference: https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/publica...uresManual.pdf policy 2-1-5, page 1 of 2. Double check this in the latest MDNR HS P&P manual which should be available in the instructor web site.

We've found the online course with a half-day review/knowledge test/field day to be effective for most students, and popular in our area.

I hope you have as much fun working HS classes as I've had

I am a Forum User
    I passed the online test 5 or 6 years ago, but couldn't schedule a field day within reason as I had family committments

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    Good that you are getting certified to teach HS.
    Demand for training exceeds class offerings downstate. I expect that it does up north too.

MDNR requires two certified HS instructors to teach a class. One certified instructor can't teach a class.
    "Two-deep instruction: A minimum of two certified hunter education instructors are required for all classes and appropriate outings."
    Reference: https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/publica...uresManual.pdf policy 2-1-5, page 1 of 2. Double check this in the latest MDNR HS P&P manual which should be available in the instructor web site.

We've found the online course with a half-day review/knowledge test/field day to be effective for most students, and popular in our area.

I hope you have as much fun working HS classes as I've had
    Yep. The local PD or a LED conservation officer (or the district/county Recreational Safety Training Officer - literally a function of their position) can fill in the blanks - and they're on the clock (so get paid) for their time too. That "two-deep" requirement has been relaxed since COVID - not sunseted, just relaxed where the guest (DNR LED, LEO, etc) can act as the second.
    At least the way it was explained to me by the coordinator in Lansing. Appendix 2 covers that "two-deep" administrative change where you redline is removed and extra wording is added.

Those 2014 docs are out of date - no real substantial changes, but I have 2020 dates and revs on the giant packet sent to me.

I figure the field day will be the most sought after. And have access to many scouting, range, nonprofits that will cover the use of bolt action 22's and single shot 410's and supplies - that was the easy part. the red tape is the waste of time.

I plan on traveling to do the range time. Gives me an excuse to visit dwindling time with my familial elders, and grand-kids/nieces/nephews/etc.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Hey there! Congrats on starting your hunter safety trainer certification! It's always great to have an in-house instructor who can help knock things out quickly. It's unfortunate that your assigned RSEES administrator is way down in Lansing, but at least you know it will be done soon!

deleted
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 03-31-2023 at 06:07 PM.