Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Serialized Pistol Frame Built Registration - Info Sharing

So I am posting this to share my experience with my first serialized Glock lower frame built so others can benefit from this information.
    Remember, rules and laws are subjected to future changes, so always check the rules and laws in the future if you are reviewing this post beyond 2023 year

So a long story short, I wanted to build an optic ready Glock 19 clone. I ordered the SCT19 serialized frame from Brownells and got it shipped to my FFL. When I picked the frame from my FFL, he did not issue an RI60 saying that he doesn't know what I am going to build a gun with barrel length, caliber etc. And that I have to register the gun once built.

I ordered the slide from PSA and some lower parts to build the lower.

I then contacted my local police department where I register my handguns at the AA police department and specifically the officer that enters my registrations. I asked him how to go about the registration and he confirmed that seller and buyer on the RI 60 form is myself (since I have a CPL), and advised to write next to the purchaser signature "Assembled from Parts" to indicate it is a build. He is a great officer and always answers my questions.. Sent my RI 60 registration and all set. I hope this helps alot of people asking questions about how to go with a serialized frame build project for registration.
    Last edited by JimSig; 03-10-2023 at 07:05 PM.

MGO Member
    Why wouldn't the FFL treat it the same way he would transferring something like an AR15 lower? Only because it's an RI-060 as well as a form 4473?
    Caliber = Multi
    Length = Unknown

I'm sure others will chime in regarding marking yourself as buyer and seller.

I wonder how people who buy just the fire control unit of a Sig P320 do it? They buy the FCU then build their own handgun. The FCU still has to go through an FFL if ordered out of state or bought at a dealer, or RI-060 if private purchase.
    It can be 3.6, 3.9, 4.7 or 5 inch barrel length and 9mm, 40s&w, 357sig, 45acp and 10mm now.
    Last edited by j-squared; 03-10-2023 at 04:52 PM.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    Waiting for Scoop to chime in but here’s his quote from a previous discussion on this subject and it is spot on.

“You don't compete an RI-060 after building or manufacturing a handgun out of parts you already own, including anything like a frame or lower that was already transferred to you. It's a pistol transaction record, not a pistol birth certificate”.

On a side not. If you need legal advice ask an attorney. If you need medical advice seek a doctor. If you need your car repaired see a mechanic. Never, ever, ever ask a cop for legal advice.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ol-frame/page2

I am a Forum User
    RI-60s are for sales of pistols, not frames. FFLs do not and should not complete RI-60s for frames/receivers.

There is no legal way to complete a RI-60 for a self-manufactured pistol, therefore you don't complete one. As long as you have a MI CPL, you meet the license to purchase requirement. No need to do anything further.

If that still doesn't make one feel warm and fuzzy inside by complying with the state that doesn't like you and will gladly kill you to enforce laws, get an out of state CPL which is clearly labeled as an exemption under the law.