Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Bear backup pistol

Are my bear in counter while bow hunting last year I got me thinking. What would be a good caliber hand gun to carry while bow hunting. I was thinking either a .44 or 10mm. What are your thoughts.

I am a Forum User
    Bear spray!

I am a Forum User
    I'd carry my Redhawk 44 mag if I was concerned.

Depends on the bear species, depends on the weight you’re willing to carry. A Glock 29, even with its short barrel, has the same energy as a full size .357 revolver but with 11 rounds. A S&W model 69 gets you full .44 mag power, but in a .357 sized package. For years I carried a Toklat (a 5” .454 SRH), but that’s honestly overkill for black bear in MI. I recently went to a New Vaquero in .45 colt using my hand loads (Tier II, 255gr cast Keith bullets moving around 1200 fps) which has a good bit more pop than 10mm or .357, but with a larger, heavier, and deeper penetrating bullet with a massive meplat. MUCH smaller and easier to carry than the SRH. I also have a 5 shot 2” DA/SA .45 colt snubby I keep in my coat pocket while skiing with the same load. At that barrel length though, it starts slowing into .45 ACP velocity ranges, but it’s still a massive snowplow of a bullet.

If weight is a huge factor, and maximum energy is a must, Smith made (or makes) a 4” scandium frame .44 mag. It’s shockingly light, but the recoil is savage as a result. About the lightest full power option available.

In all honesty though, I’ve never had a problem with black bear. I’ve seen videos of curious ones climbing trees to check out tree stands, but every one I’ve come across appeared entirely indifferent I was there. Browns in my experience are a different story. My last brown bear encounter in Montana is why I went to .454. The Toklat is just a pig to carry around. IMO the NMV with Tier II Colt (or .44), a hot 10mm, or a S&W model 69 are more than enough for MI.

As for DA vs SA revolvers, I had always been in the mindset that DA was a must. But real world, I almost never use DA. Even on the SRH I find myself always going for the hammer. The NMV is noticeably easier to shoot SA quickly with for me, single or two handed.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 03-11-2023 at 10:09 AM.

MY only choice. Ruger ALASKAN in 44 Mag
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Black bear or grizzly bear? I'm assuming black since this is Michigan, but in either case bear spray is a wise choice. As far as guns go, though, according to Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore, who knows more about shooting bears than most people, good stout 9mm loads are all you really need for black bear.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=108

My last black bear encounter I nailed it in the rear quarter with a can of Dinty Moore beef stew.
    It all happened real fast, the black lab was in pursuit as I emerged from the tent and and threw a perfect spiral hitting the bear in the ass at the same moment the dog hit the end of his 50’ chain, with a yelp. Good times!

I lived on the east slope of the sierras and bears can be a little aggressive during the fall salmon runs and emerging early in the spring. I would often pack my 3” 629, but my last trip I was content with a 1911 on my side.
    Gratuitous gun action photo does not want to load.
    Accept Climate Change: ADAPT!!!

Slow Friend.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Hellboy's gun.

.454 Casull, .45 Colt or .410 - 3"
    Last edited by Imshootin; 03-12-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast