Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Will antiques and replicas black powder arms not be exempt from back ground checks if SB76 passes?

Will antiques and replicas black powder long arms lose their exemption from back ground checks if SB76 passes? I see chat around the net about this I haven't found anything yet any one have a clear answer.

It looks like its just covers pistols and black powder pistols a firearms I do believe.
    Last edited by lcpnut; 03-17-2023 at 09:00 PM.

MGO Member
    we will know soon as they tweek it to death

SB 76 (S-3) as passed by the Senate reads:

Sec. 12. [aka MCL 28.422 - my addition in brackets]
    (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
    (h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision,
    "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

MCL 750.231a says:
    (2) As used in this section, "antique firearm" means either of the following:
    (i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

That says black powder is exempted to me.

But I have to admit it is hard to track the 24 pages and anything else tie-barred to SB 76'23 (like SB 77, 78 etc).

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    SB 76 (S-3) as passed by the Senate reads:

Sec. 12. [aka MCL 28.422 - my addition in brackets]
    (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
    (h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision,
    "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

MCL 750.231a says:
    (2) As used in this section, "antique firearm" means either of the following:
    (i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

That says black powder is exempted to me.

But I have to admit it is hard to track the 24 pages and anything else tie-barred to SB 76'23 (like SB 77, 78 etc).
    All those 209 primer ignition muzzleloading rifles will require background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    All those 209 primer ignition muzzleloading rifles will require background checks?
    Wouldn't that be covered under "...percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system..."?
    To me the "...conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition..." doesn't mean primer ignition, it's not fixed to the ammo.

If I'm wrong tell me. It is hard to follow how all of these bills overlap, so I very well could be.