Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Kel Tec CMR 30 owners

Well after the question here of CMR 30 pistol or rifle in MI?

Here is what I found out.

My local gun dealer - Rifle, but asked me if it could fire when collapsed. It can by the way at a 22.7" OAL. MI law is 26" or longer.

MI State Police/Local Sherrif - Rifle if stopped/checked with stock extended, Pistol if collapsed by "MOST OFFICERS AND DA's. Of course, with the caveat of "I am not the DA".... Suggested registering it as a pistol to err on side of caution.

ATF - Rifle, but check your State laws.

Kel Tec - Rifle, but check your State laws.

What ambiguity......

So based on this information I will be registering as a pistol. If anything, I can carry it loaded with my CPL on the front seat when out woodchuck hunting for up close stuff as I have a Standing Vehicle Permit.

Michigan lawmakers are rewriting the book on pistols with a new piece of legislation, WNEM reports. The Michigan House of Representatives unanimously passed Senate Bills 760-762 with a 110-0 vote. It also cruised through the Senate with a 36-2 vote.

Unlike so many pieces of gun legislation nowadays, these bills aren’t concerned with being pro-gun rights or pro-gun control. Their focus is to change the definition of guns to make Michigan gun laws easier to understand and closer to the standards set by other states.

Currently, Michigan defines a pistol as a firearm with an overall length of 30 inches or less. If passed, these bills will redefine a pistol to a firearm that is 26 inches or less. This might sound like splitting hairs, but the legislation should help to clear up confusion among firearm manufacturers, retailers, law enforcement, and gun owners because this will make pistol definitions more in line with the pistol definitions in other states.

Michigan gun owners who own a pistol in the 26.1 to 30 inch range won’t be affected by the legislation. Your not-quite-pistols will be grandfathered over. The legislation won’t touch federal and state requirements for background checks, nor will it change any other major laws related to firearms. Really, all it’s going to do is change which firearms Michigan considers to be a pistol.

The bills are on their way to Gov. Rick Snyder’s desk, where they’ll be one signature away from becoming law.

I am a Forum User
    Not sure what article you read but rick Snyder hasn't been in office for a long time

I am a Forum User
    It's a rifle federally and a pistol in Michigan. If you buy from a dealer, a RI-60 should be completed. Or, just get a non-resident CPL from another state and do away with RI-60s forever. https://miopencarry.org/news/2015/06...n-Registration

MGO Member
    This was just posted to show he was going to sign the bill.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadthreader View Post
    This was just posted to show he was going to sign the bill.
    News Flash - Snyder has been out of office for years. Maybe you should post something about Abe Lincoln attending a show this evening, it would be about as up-to-date as the garbage you posted.

I am a Forum User
    Does it change classification if the adjustable stock is extended out and shouldered at the range? Just curious how that works.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieg1274 View Post
    Does it change classification if the adjustable stock is extended out and shouldered at the range? Just curious how that works.
    Michigan measures a shortest operable configuration.

MGO Member
    News flash. The point was to show the law was changed from 30" to 26" as it pertained to my original post. Who cares who signed it as it is the current law? Please remember Mr. jeff s?/Troll, we also live with laws/statutes of the land over 247 years old.

Sheesh.....

Quote Originally Posted by jeff s View Post
    News Flash - Snyder has been out of office for years. Maybe you should post something about Abe Lincoln attending a show this evening, it would be about as up-to-date as the garbage you posted.

MGO Member
    YEP!

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Michigan measures a shortest operable configuration.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadthreader View Post
    News flash. The point was to show the law was changed from 30" to 26" as it pertained to my original post. Who cares who signed it as it is the current law? Please remember Mr. jeff s?/Troll, we also live with laws/statutes of the land over 247 years old.

Sheesh.....
    Something that does not belong in the Legal Beagle - unless you were asking a questions and then ...

Good job - 9 posts, and you are calling me a troll