Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Out of state CPL

It used to be that the holder of an out-of-state CPL was exempt from having to register a pistol in Michigan. Has that been changed recently?

I am a Forum User
    Nope. That CPL just has to be valid. Sometimes changing residencies may invalidate it, however Michigan doesn't make that distinction for the exception.

If you have a MI CPL, then getting a non-resident CPL from another state is the way to go. You will need both to carry and opt out of RI-60s, as the law surrounding RI-60s has a LTP requirement which a MI CPL nullifies.

I am a Forum User
    Why must one actually carry the non resident CPL if they are carrying in Michigan under the authority of a Michigan CPL?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Why must one actually carry the non resident CPL if they are carrying in Michigan under the authority of a Michigan CPL?
    Non-resident is only to exempt one from RI-60s. No need to carry it daily although I carry mine.

My wording was confusing. I meant that a MI CPL is still required to carry concealed as a Michigan resident.

I am a Forum User
    GreaseMonkey, why couldn't you carry AND opt out of registration etc. having just the out-of-state CPL, as long as it has reciprocity with Michigan?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tacasp63 View Post
    GreaseMonkey, why couldn't you carry AND opt out of registration etc. having just the out-of-state CPL, as long as it has reciprocity with Michigan?
    Because Michigan residents must have a Michigan CPL to carry concealed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Because Michigan residents must have a Michigan CPL to carry concealed.
    This.

I am a Forum User
    I’ll be going through this process in the coming months. Our new permanent home in the UP will be done this summer. Obviously I will be getting my Michigan CPL and I currently have a lifetime Indiana concealed carry license. Indiana went constitutional carry and they don’t technically have licenses anymore but when I moved to Indiana temporarily, awaiting our build to finish, CC wasn’t implemented yet and I got a lifetime license. I have to look into whether that would suffice.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsatch View Post
    I’ll be going through this process in the coming months. Our new permanent home in the UP will be done this summer. Obviously I will be getting my Michigan CPL and I currently have a lifetime Indiana concealed carry license. Indiana went constitutional carry and they don’t technically have licenses anymore but when I moved to Indiana temporarily, awaiting our build to finish, CC wasn’t implemented yet and I got a lifetime license. I have to look into whether that would suffice.
    It may, but likely not. You’ll need to review the minute details of it, it likely is only lifetime if you maintain residence.

The primary way Michigan residents with a Michigan CPL are allowed to forgo turning in their copies of RI-60’s to LEO and MSP is Out of state, Non-resident CPL’s and most states invalidate their resident CPL’s when you vacate the state that issued them.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Plenty of questionable statements here, read the law and AG opinion yourself.

MCL -28-432

AG opinion on the subject

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast