Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Stevens Savage Model 22-410

My dad just passed this down to me to eventually leave to my boy. Pretty neat little combo. The stock is tenite and is cracked pretty bad and needs replaced. I cannot seem to find any tenite stocks on the webs. I would just go walnut and be done with it, but my dad is for some reason in love with the old plastic. Any ideas for sourcing a replacement?

IMG_8835.jpgIMG_8837.jpg

Marketplace Moderator
    I would say go with a walnut and get it shooting again. That plastic will be from that era and is probably slowly degrading anyway if you can even find one.. Just keep the plastic stock for the future value.

Wikii › Tenite

Tenite is not a durable plastic. Objects manufactured from Tenite slowly deform and warp over decades eventually rendering the products unusable

I am a Forum User
    Yeah, this is what I originally wanted to do. The ol man just thinks tenite is the cats @$$ for some reason.

Marketplace Moderator
    In perfect condition, the tenite stock will probably make the rifle worth a premium to the right person. But not cracked stock one. Good Luck finding one

Quote Originally Posted by deanooo311 View Post
    Yeah, this is what I originally wanted to do. The ol man just thinks tenite is the cats @$$ for some reason.
    Suggestion:
    Buy a replacement walnut stock for use.

Use a high quality epoxy and surgical tubing/clamps to repair the Tenite stock for cosmetic purposes. The Tenite can be relieved inside and reinforced with welding rod, etc., to add strength. The subsequent repair will be faint, but reasonably strong. It will at minimum reduce further spread of the existing fracture.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    I've considered attempting to epoxy it to try it out. What and how do you reinforce with welding rod? Replacement forearm and stock are $215, oof.

This one will never be sold. Even though its nothing super special, once it hits my sons hands, it'll be the 4th generation of pass down.

Quote Originally Posted by deanooo311 View Post
    I've considered attempting to epoxy it to try it out. What and how do you reinforce with welding rod? Replacement forearm and stock are $215, oof.

This one will never be sold. Even though its nothing super special, once it hits my sons hands, it'll be the 4th generation of pass down.
    Use a Dremel, or similar, to mill small slots perpendicular to the crack. Layer on epoxy, lay strips of welding rod, etc., in the slots and then clamp/reinforce the joint until the epoxy cures.
    It's like laying rebar in a concrete pour. Fiberglass mesh, anything that can add strength and stabilize the joint.

We've rednecked plastic intake manifolds, cam covers, etc., like this to keep a test engine running.

I've reinforced cracked wood stocks with epoxy and brass screws through the crack. Saw the screws off, trim flush, polish, and they look like small brass pins. You can antique the brass to help it blend into the wood too.

Note: Gunsmiths will be losing their minds about now. I am a redneck hack, who has learned how to cobble most anything. I am sure others can offer better solutions and I defer to their better judgment.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Use a Dremel, or similar, to mill small slots perpendicular to the crack. Layer on epoxy, lay strips of welding rod, etc., in the slots and then clamp/reinforce the joint until the epoxy cures.
    It's like laying rebar in a concrete pour. Fiberglass mesh, anything that can add strength and stabilize the joint.

We've rednecked plastic intake manifolds, cam covers, etc., like this to keep a test engine running.

I've reinforced cracked wood stocks with epoxy and brass screws through the crack. Saw the screws off, trim flush, polish, and they look like small brass pins. You can antique the brass to help it blend into the wood too.

Note: Gunsmiths will be losing their minds about now. I am a redneck hack, who has learned how to cobble most anything. I am sure others can offer better solutions and I defer to their better judgment.
    Nothing wrong with a little cobble work here and there!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 91sporty View Post
    This looks like the winner. Can't believe I didn't check Brownells. Just asked for a verification of fitment, then will make the purchase. All the sites I could find either had only the stock in stock or the forearm in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast