Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Nitriding

I am a Forum User

Nitriding

I have a complete CZ 550 375 H&H length bolt action that I’m thinking about having barreled and nitrided. I’m assuming that the barrel and action would be nitrided disassembled but I don’t know that for fact. Can anyone recommend a company for nitriding that handles small individual orders?

Firearms that I’ve had nitrided before were handled through a smith. I’m looking to farm out most of work for this rifle individually rather than having a smith line everything up.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you, that’s exactly the information that I was looking for.

I am a Forum User
    Selfridge Plating is an outstanding plater and metal finisher, but they do not perform heat treating operations like nitriding.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I'm pretty sure Hanson-Balk in Grand Rapids will nitride pretty much anything you send them. They are a large facility that does most anything. I dealt with them for decades doing tool & die work. Lot's of induvidual pieces. Most places that nitride are strictly production. Hanson-Balk does everything. I highly recommend them.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. Wayne View Post
    I'm pretty sure Hanson-Balk in Grand Rapids will nitride pretty much anything you send them. They are a large facility that does most anything. I dealt with them for decades doing tool & die work. Lot's of induvidual pieces. Most places that nitride are strictly production. Hanson-Balk does everything. I highly recommend them.
    Do they have the proper FFL licensing to do work on gun parts?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Do they have the proper FFL licensing to do work on gun parts?
    Would that even matter if it is getting a new barrel (assuming one would have that nitrided before delivery)?
    That's the only part with a serial - and would need a smith to fit anyway.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by mittenman View Post
    I have a complete CZ 550 375 H&H length bolt action that I’m thinking about having barreled and nitrided. I’m assuming that the barrel and action would be nitrided disassembled but I don’t know that for fact. Can anyone recommend a company for nitriding that handles small individual orders?

Firearms that I’ve had nitrided before were handled through a smith. I’m looking to farm out most of work for this rifle individually rather than having a smith line everything up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Would that even matter if it is getting a new barrel (assuming one would have that nitrided before delivery)?
    That's the only part with a serial - and would need a smith to fit anyway.
    As you say, either the barrel or the action has a SN, and mittenman says he would be having both parts serviced then the company doing the work would in theory have to have the appropriate FFL to handle serialized parts.

No idea how CZ serializes their rifles, but the Ruger and the Marlin (JM) I’m looking at here at my deer camp have SN’s on their receivers, not the barrels.

Further, per the ATF, anyone engaging in the business of ‘refinishing’ firearm parts needs a 01 FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/lice...iring-firearms
    Last edited by balrog006; 11-23-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca