Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feral Swine

Feral Swine

Where in the lower to hunt feral swine?

The DNR website is a conveluded mess and after three separate pdf downloads still no clear definitive answer.
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr

This year is the 60 day hunting excursion we five brothers planned out three years ago. It was to coincide with opening day for deer but the pandemic put the kibosh on that.

After losing three of my brothers since 2019 we two surviving brothers want to fill our freezer and donate to our local food bank.

And a fat hog can do just that.
    Opinions Expressed Are Mine Alone And Do Not Represent The Michigan Gun Owners Organization Its Members Affiliates Or Advertisers.

Marketplace Moderator
    I hunted the thumb near Ubly for 35 years. Not one of my friends or neighbors ever saw a ferel hog. They are very far and few in between if they are here. My son is in Georgia and they are loaded with them.

MGO Member
    Not to sideline the original post but here’s the DNR’s new list of pest animals you can hunt any time on your property

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hout-a-permit/

Yeah from what I've been told Michigan hunters really put the hurting on the feral hog population.
    Opinions Expressed Are Mine Alone And Do Not Represent The Michigan Gun Owners Organization Its Members Affiliates Or Advertisers.

MGO Member
    I thought it was a thread about democrats
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

If taking a hog vs a nice day sitting in the woods is your goal, I’d recommend going to one of the game ranches. Ubly, Jackson, Traverse City are a few areas with farms that offer pig.
    If hunting out side fences is what you want I’d go south. I’ve a co-worker that enjoys a family hunt every couple years in Kentucky and used to work with a couple guys that hit Georgia regularly, both have a guide or farmer they hunt through, they don’t just hit government lands. A cousin of mine lived in Ga for ~12-15 yrs and ran with a group that hunted pig with knives and dogs. Sounded like an interesting thing to watch, but from a distance IMHO.
    Whatever or wherever you decide, enjoy your hunt and brothers company, that’s what it’s all about in the end anyway.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    https://huntersdomain.com/listing/michigan-boar-hunts/

https://trophyranch.com/

About 10 years ago two people in my haunting party did see two or the same one twice in Newaygo County. I spend a lot of time outdoors in Michigan hunting, fishing and hiking (22 miles on the North county Trail so far this year), I have never seen or heard one in the woods. In my opinion there a too rare to hunt in Michigan, in the wild anyway. See chart below on sightings....

https://images.app.goo.gl/7wSrkB9GTGXEXF2J7

�� ... �� ... ������

The mess that wild swine can create has led to the Michigan Legislature declaring feral pigs running at large on public or private property to be a public nuisance. MCL 433.14a(1). Local animal control officers or law enforcement officers may kill swine running at large on public or private property. MCL 433.14a(2). However, this alone has not been enough to stem the rise of the wild pig population and the spread of the damage they cause. As a result, the Michigan Legislature has also empowered private citizens to contribute to the solution by allowing them to also kill wild swine under a “shoot-on-sight” law once certain conditions are met.
    Pursuant to MCL 433.14a(3), individuals not affiliated with the government may kill feral pigs as follows:
    A person may kill swine running at large on private property if the person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, the owner or lessee of the property.
    A person may kill swine running at large on public property if he or she possesses either of the following:
    A license to carry a concealed pistol issued under MCL 28.421 to MCL 28.435.
    A valid hunting license for any game issued under the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, MCL 324.43501 to MCL 324.43561.
    This empowerment does not authorize the discharge of a bow and arrow, crossbow or firearm in an area where the discharge of that weapon or hunting of that weapon is prohibited by a local ordinance. MCL 433.14a(4).

https://www.monroecountylawyers.com/...e-in-michigan/
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Has the state changed any laws on how to dispose of them? The laws that I have seen might be a bigger nuisance than having coyotes crap in my yard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast