Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel

I picked this Mod 10-8 up many years ago from a pile of pistols that was from a security company sale.

I always intended to refurbish it, maybe cerocote it but it was missing the cylinder crane which I replaced. The crane is the only part with any bluing on it. Virtually no finish is left and is well worn everyplace else.

Lock up of the cylinder is sticky but it turns/rotates and fires.

The 3Dxxxxx serial # seems to indicate it was made in 1978. It does have a pinned barrel

So what's a well worn, beat up, missing the grip screw Smith worth these days? Might be worth something when restored/refinished.

No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

$150-$200 MAX for a beat up 10-8 K frame. Considering they're less than $500 for a new one, a restore isn't worth it.
    Fix what you need to, mod what you want, and enjoy shooting it.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    I wouldn't bother refinishing it...it looks cool as is...the finish wear adds character.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    I wouldn't bother refinishing it...it looks cool as is...the finish wear adds character.
    yep. or bead blast it and soak it in oil and rub it all in (had a korean returned garand that had been bead blasted and just kept oiling it and you'd never know it had been blasted) or get some of casey birchwood cold bluing and refinish it.

but i like the patina of the wear on it

Whatever you think that it's worth, a refinished gun is worth less.
    US Army
    NRA member
    USPSA Chief Range Officer & NRA RSO
    NRA CPL instructor- group and private
    Private firearm instructions

MGO Member
    Well it does remind me of the 10 HBs we used in the police academy and then were issued back in 1976...which is why I picked this one out. Not as well worn as this one but well used by the time we got them.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.