Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Selling a firearm that you don't use, but don't need or want to sell

I need to use reading glasses now, so I can't really see pistol or rifle iron sights all that well anymore. I have a CZ Kadet .22lr conversion slide that I really enjoy shooting on my CZ P-01 frame. The problem is that there is not a good way to mount a red dot to it. I am having a hard time with the realization that I should sell it, and buy a different .22lr pistol which I can mount a red dot on.

I don't "need" to sell it, so I might just keep it in the safe. Have any of you gone though something like this as well?

Also, any suggestions for a .22lr pistol and red dot combo? I have been thinking about getting a Taurus TX-22 Compact.

I am a Forum User
    I have a TX-22 and really like it. It has been a very reliable shooter.

I am a Forum User
    I own guns I've never shot, and some guns such I rarely shoot but won't sell. If you like it, it's the only reason you need to keep it.

I'd also recommend the TX-22. The only Taurus with buying.

I'm getting older with eye issues. Tough to see the sights and targets proper. I tend to move closer to the target. If I can hit within 6" at 20 ft I am happy. Somethings get better with age, shooting good is not one of them...
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

You might want to give these guys a call, let them know what you have it's very possible they can mount a red dot on your CZ.

https://ateiguns.com/
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper...ire-and-docter
    will fit a mini red dot, like a Burris fastfire or Docter or similar on your Kadet slide.

AND https://shop.springerprecision.com/c...ovetail-mount/ works too (even though it's marketed as a full size CZ75 mount) but requires much more work to fit right on a P01 with your Kadet slide.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 06-03-2023 at 09:49 PM. Reason: corrected links

I am a Forum User
    " firearm(s) that you don't use, but don't need or want to sell .."

This made me smile... as it describes probably 50% (or more) of my firearm collection.
    I shoot all my guns, as it helps keep them current in my cleaning "rotation"..
    I log the date I shoot a firearm, ( after cleaning it ) & make a note if there's anything needing change, or modification.
    Keep a yearly record on the desktop of my computer, this also comes in handy if I need to order a part for one.

I've actually sold a few rifles, a shotgun & a couple of pistols, after deciding I don't enjoy shooting them anymore.
    This is because I bought something in the same caliber I like better.

I will add that In recent years I've replaced more than a few scopes on rifles for more powerful ones, as my eyesight has degraded

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

I shoot all my guns, as it helps keep them current in my cleaning "rotation"..
    I log the date I shoot a firearm, ( after cleaning it ) & make a note if there's anything needing change, or modification.
    That is a great idea Joe. I have cleaned & put guns away that needed "something" & then forgot what it was.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I need to use reading glasses now, so I can't really see pistol or rifle iron sights all that well anymore. I have a CZ Kadet .22lr conversion slide that I really enjoy shooting on my CZ P-01 frame. The problem is that there is not a good way to mount a red dot to it. I am having a hard time with the realization that I should sell it, and buy a different .22lr pistol which I can mount a red dot on.

I don't "need" to sell it, so I might just keep it in the safe. Have any of you gone though something like this as well?

Also, any suggestions for a .22lr pistol and red dot combo? I have been thinking about getting a Taurus TX-22 Compact.
    On guns that I can't easily see the sights on I shoot with reading glasses, not my current perfectly focused reading glasses as those give me a great sight picture but too much target blur.

Instead I use older reading glasses that still give me a decent sight picture but also give me a blurry but (very usable) target blur.

What I found when I started using reading glasses to shoot with was that I actually shot better at 15 and 20 yards as the clean focused sight picture but slightly blurred target made me focus more on the front sight than the slightly blurry target. The slight target blur also made the sight movement on the target less noticeable.

I now take one of my pistol slides (not the entire gun just the slide) to my optometrist so he can work with me to find reading lense's that allow a good sight pictures but still allow a blurry but very usable target picture. He then then can make me shooting glasses that have that prescription but are also safety rated for shooting protection.

On selling your gun, that depends on how much it is worth to you now vs how much it would sell for, most older .22 pistols don't have a lot of value when selling. How difficult will that pistol be to replace 5 or 10 years from now when buying a new gun could mean 40 hours of schooling, a complete medical evaluation, needing insurance, having 5 relatives vouch for you, etc? (basically way more difficult or even impossible)

Unless it it worth a lot of money then there is probably not not much gain in selling it.

Plus, as time goes by there will probably be lighter easier to mount red dots that actually fit in the rear sight notch (Leupold actually has one of those now for certain guns)

Bottom line for me, looking back through history I have eventually regretted selling every gun (except one) that I have sold or traded.

I am a Forum User
    " I have cleaned & put guns away that needed "something" & then forgot what it was. .."
    yes, this is why I came up with the text folder on my desktop, so I don't forget something.
    This works well, as long as I remember to write it down.

I clean guns (usually) right after returning from a range trip, so the needed or wanted changes are still fresh in my mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast