Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Browning Buckmark "Hunter" works really good with my not so good eyes. 74 in October.
    An inexpensive Browning red dot made for it makes this thing a tack driver!!
    Last edited by Two Feathers; 06-04-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    On guns that I can't easily see the sights on I shoot with reading glasses, not my current perfectly focused reading glasses as those give me a great sight picture but too much target blur.

Instead I use older reading glasses that still give me a decent sight picture but also give me a blurry but (very usable) target blur.

What I found when I started using reading glasses to shoot with was that I actually shot better at 15 and 20 yards as the clean focused sight picture but slightly blurred target made me focus more on the front sight than the slightly blurry target. The slight target blur also made the sight movement on the target less noticeable.

I now take one of my pistol slides (not the entire gun just the slide) to my optometrist so he can work with me to find reading lense's that allow a good sight pictures but still allow a blurry but very usable target picture. He then then can make me shooting glasses that have that prescription but are also safety rated for shooting protection.

On selling your gun, that depends on how much it is worth to you now vs how much it would sell for, most older .22 pistols don't have a lot of value when selling. How difficult will that pistol be to replace 5 or 10 years from now when buying a new gun could mean 40 hours of schooling, a complete medical evaluation, needing insurance, having 5 relatives vouch for you, etc? (basically way more difficult or even impossible)

Unless it it worth a lot of money then there is probably not not much gain in selling it.

Plus, as time goes by there will probably be lighter easier to mount red dots that actually fit in the rear sight notch (Leupold actually has one of those now for certain guns)

Bottom line for me, looking back through history I have eventually regretted selling every gun (except one) that I have sold or traded.
    It looks like this version of the CZ Kadet .22lr adapter has been discontinued. I saw one for sale on Gunbroker for $650 with 2 mags. I have 10 mags, and they sell for $60 each now. So, if I sold my kit and wanted to rebuy it, it would cost me over $1,100. I did not consider shooting with my reading glasses. I will have to try that, or like you suggested, get some lower power reading glasses and try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    It looks like this version of the CZ Kadet .22lr adapter has been discontinued. I saw one for sale on Gunbroker for $650 with 2 mags. I have 10 mags, and they sell for $60 each now. So, if I sold my kit and wanted to rebuy it, it would cost me over $1,100. I did not consider shooting with my reading glasses. I will have to try that, or like you suggested, get some lower power reading glasses and try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I use Tri-Focals they work Great after you get use to them. That could take a while.

At 78 I still use iron sights, and shoot out to 200 yards.

In an USPSA match, I hit with good scores with the Tri, but that time just flies by, and the body can not take the run and gun positions required.
    Never thought I'd be shooting a 9mm Glock 26, instead of my custom Colt 45, 2 lb trigger, in limited. Those days are gone, seeing those big holes down range.

I'd love to go to Second Change Pin Shoot next week, but, the drive is too far, plus the walking and standing is out. Not to mention the recoil of my 45.
    It's a FUN Event to attend, everyone should try to attend once if possible.

Just find the correct glasses and do your thing. Continue shooting, keeps as it keeps the mind alive. Watch those Pins fly.
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I need to use reading glasses now, so I can't really see pistol or rifle iron sights all that well anymore. I have a CZ Kadet .22lr conversion slide that I really enjoy shooting on my CZ P-01 frame. The problem is that there is not a good way to mount a red dot to it. I am having a hard time with the realization that I should sell it, and buy a different .22lr pistol which I can mount a red dot on.

I don't "need" to sell it, so I might just keep it in the safe. Have any of you gone though something like this as well?

Also, any suggestions for a .22lr pistol and red dot combo? I have been thinking about getting a Taurus TX-22 Compact.
    maybe obvious but you just didn't mention it, can surgery help, can glasses help ? Some combo of something, talk to the doc first before you start selling things off.

I am going to try this green laser and light combo. I've thought about the rear sight red dot mount, but the slide is already hard enough to use, and I am afraid that a red dot would make it more difficult.

Name:  20230613_211144.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  101.4 KB

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dramey82 View Post
    You might want to give these guys a call, let them know what you have it's very possible they can mount a red dot on your CZ.

https://ateiguns.com/
    I wouldn’t recommend a single member of this group spend their money with ATEI.

Doug the owner was directly responsible for the last major crap show here and organized a leadership “mutiny” attempting to get the org to fold into some other group.

Spending money with him is an insult to everyone who got dragged into that mess defending MGO.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post

Doug the owner was directly responsible for the last major crap show here and organized a leadership “mutiny” attempting to get the org to fold into some other group.

Spending money with him is an insult to everyone who got dragged into that mess defending MGO.
    I was pretty in-tune with what was going on during the time that Doug was on the BoD.

I am unaware of ANY attempt or desire to get the org to fold into some other group by that BoD. What that board wanted was for there to be more "structure" (i.e., written policies, contractual agreements, etc) within MGO (the org). What that board believed was that major changes were needed in order for MGO to advance as an organization...and some of those changes were directly related to the forums.

As the (then) Forums Administrator, I STRONGLY disagreed with (many, not all of) their ideas, especially relating to the forums. I did, and still do believe that implementing those changes would have been the kiss of death for MGO (the organization and the forums).

I can say as 100% fact that the organization was at a historic low when it came to cash flow and cash reserves during that board's tenure. It took a LOT of work for the org to recover and get the cash flow back on track, as well as getting our cash reserves to an all-time high. Financially, there is no comparison to where the org was during that time period, as compared to the current status.

That's the MGO history...

As for Doug and ATEi, from all accounts, Doug is a master machinist and his work is second to none. I would not hesitate to refer anyone looking for such services to Doug/ATEi.

Trek was President of that board. Likewise, I wouldn't hesitate to refer Trek/MDFI to anyone looking for training that they offer.

Back to the thread topic...
    I have many guns, but I only use one at a time...and with a couple of exceptions, I don't sell firearms. Of the few I have sold, I regretted selling one and ended-up unknowingly buying it back 7 years later! I thought I was buying one like it, but was really surprised to find out that it was the exact same one I had sold to someone else years earlier!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post

There have been some past bad leadership here, I can dig up a bunch of posts and Pm's by me alone condemning them, but I don't let it eat at me! as Tom has mentioned ATEi's work is exceptional and I've seen it first hand, the OP was looking for a qualified gunsmith and they'd be excellent for the job, I won't forget the past but I can move on from it.
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Well, the Olight green laser and light combo does not work that well in the sunlight. I cannot see the green laser dot, so I would not recommend this "solution" to anyone. I am thinking about either buying a TX22 compact, or an advantage arms .22lr conversion for my G19.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    That is a great idea Joe. I have cleaned & put guns away that needed "something" & then forgot what it was.
    I just sell my guns to friends that clean all their guns well and buy the guns back when clean! (inside joke between me and Devil Dog!)
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast