Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

MAKOWSKI LEGAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA AK?

I am a Forum User

PSA AK?

Are Palmetto State Armory AK’s legit? Reliability and manufacturing quality is probably the most important thing for me in a firearm. I understand why PSA’s prices are as low as they are, but I’ve held a few daggers and ARs and they feel cheap, which I hate. Are their AKs the same way?

MGO Member
    The more recent models (GF3 and above) have been well reviewed by AKOU. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxk1wAOznsU
    Opinions will vary. They're not Veprs or Arsenals but they're not priced that way either.

I am a Forum User
    Zastava seems to be the best bang for your buck as far as AK’s go. Not much more expensive than PSA

Here’s a breakdown of PSA AKs.

G1: cast trunnions and bolt, superseded quickly by GB2

GB2: billet trunnions and bolt. Better than the cast, but still wore quickly compared to forged. Superseded by GF3

GF3: forged trunnions and bolt. Stronger and more durable.

GF3-E: forged trunnion and bolt, but uses 4340 steel. More durable.

GF4: same as GF3-E, but adds a house made cold hammer forged barrel. More durable under high heat (rapid fire/ full auto)

GF5: top of the line. Same as GF3/4, forged 4340 steel trunnions and bolt, but uses a CHF barrel made by FN using the same steel they use to make machine gun barrels with. Best for sustained rapid fire. Above and beyond what the average shooter needs.

Selecting a GF3/4/5 depends on your intended use. If it’s a casual shooter, there’s no need to spend hundreds more on a GF5 just for the FN barrel. It’s not any more accurate, just more durable under high heat.

I’ve had multiple. I did begin to see trunnion wear on my GB2 after around 3000 rounds, but that’s a moot point since it’s out of production. IMO the GF3-E is the best bang for your buck for a casual use rifle. The trunnion and bolt are very durable, and so is the barrel as long as you’re not doing repeated mag dumps with it. Fit and finish on current models is impeccable (for an AKM). I have no problem turning to one as a fun blaster or a budget fighting rifle. Their tiered trim levels let you select what budget and level of durability you need. As well as selecting what kind of gas block you want (AKM, 100 series, or krink)

My current go-to blaster is a GF3-E with a Krink gas block. It’s a ton of fun, with zero malfunctions or abnormal wear in around 3000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by lcjeff2000 View Post
    Zastava seems to be the best bang for your buck as far as AK’s go. Not much more expensive than PSA
    I’d agree 100%, except Serbia announced that they will be focusing on arming themselves domestically, so no more exports. At their old price point, they were the best deal to be had. But now that the supply is being shut off, I’d expect them to reach Arsenal levels of pricing insanity.

I am a Forum User
    So what you’re saying is, buy one sooner rather than later lol. Thanks for the PSA overview. Super helpful!

Zastava has a bunch of choices under 1k.

Psa is a good option but will remain.

I'd grab one or even two zastava while the getting is good.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Zastava has a bunch of choices under 1k.

Psa is a good option but will remain.

I'd grab one or even two zastava while the getting is good.
    100% agree. Get a Zastava now while they’re still available and affordable. PSA isn’t going away. Zastava makes an excellent rifle, but their days in the states are about done. Furniture and features aside, if you put a $800 Zastava against a $800 PSA (probably a base GF4 or a decked out GF3 for that price) I’d take the Serbian, if not just for the RPK front trunnion. Do you NEED the bigger trunnion? No….but it’s nice to have.

AKM top

RPK (M70) lower.

Trunion is the failure point. The military arsenal built stuff is good for 50,000 rds or more. The bs commercial stuff runs the gammit of cast junk to pretty good.

In my opinion step up to the good stuff.

900 aks are kinda hard to accept but it is what it is.

Someday it will be work 3k so buy 2.

Buy a psa for the range.

Spending other peoples money ��

I'm pleased with my sub $300 saigas from 2008.

Buy once.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Trunion is the failure point. The military arsenal built stuff is good for 50,000 rds or more. The bs commercial stuff runs the gammit of cast junk to pretty good.

In my opinion step up to the good stuff.

900 aks are kinda hard to accept but it is what it is.

Someday it will be work 3k so buy 2.

Buy a psa for the range.

Spending other peoples money ��

I'm pleased with my sub $300 saigas from 2008.

Buy once.

There are some major junky rifles out there. IO and century come to mind. I think PSA and KUSA are doing right for all US made parts.

Here’s another option. Some manufacturers sell barreled receivers, Essentially doing all the hard steps of assembly for you. Zastava and PSA both do this, with PSA having endless options. This lets you save money by just buying the core rifle (technically “firearm”) you want, and configuring how you personally want it. It is NOT like putting together an AR though. Even with all the hard stuff already done, fitting new furniture and components to an AKM/ 100 series actually requires fitting. It’s not something to be intimidated by though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast