Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Advertise With MGO

Recommend Charging Handle for AR15 to clear scope

Are there any AR15 Charging Handles that have a handle farther back and/ or wider to help me charge my AR with scope. Reasonable price helpful. (Right handed)
    Thanks in advance for any Recommendations
    Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
    " NRA for Life "

I am a Forum User
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-...rging-handles/

I need one, since I "found" a 20" pencil barrel AR needing optics while looking for lowers. It will be in a AERO one piece scope mount

MGO Member
    I'm a big fan of the BCM gunfighter charging handles. They make ambi ones as well if you prefer.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-asym...ch-5-56mm-223/

Radian Raptor for ambi (low profile & extended on right)
    or
    BCM gunfighter (extended ambi or asymmetrical)
    or
    A side charging handle drop-in like the 'Hard Charger' from Devil Dog Concepts (left side only)
    or
    Swap out your standard upper for a side charging upper (Gibbz for example)

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Savorino View Post
    Are there any AR15 Charging Handles that have a handle farther back and/ or wider to help me charge my AR with scope. Reasonable price helpful. (Right handed)
    Thanks in advance for any Recommendations
    We sort of need more information as it can depend on how you typically carry your AR. Are you a left hand or right hand charging handle user?

If you sling high across your chest (R/H shooter) then anything that sticks out the L/H side farther can dig into your chest (this can also depend on your chest gear).

Personally I like a left hand charging system but getting a charging handle that is easy to grab out past a more rear-mounted lower-mounted scope that doesn't dig into your chest can be somewhat of a challenge.

I have tried a number of charging handles and/or charging handle latches.

One of my personal favorites is the "Badger Ordnance Tactical Charging Handle Latch" (about $18.00). Just the latch as I install that on a standard charging handle. BUT! even the STOCK "Badger Ordnance Tactical Charging Handle Latch" digs into my chest at times.

So I modify the Badger loop to have a more forward curve by reworking (bending) it around a round steel rod. This still makes it easy to grab around a scope but the forward curve makes it way more chest friendly. It doesn't stick out very far but it is easy to grab and pull.

The one problem in reworking the Badger is that it is case hardened (very durable) but that makes the loop difficult to bend into a forward curve without breaking the loop. I have done enough now to know just how far I can bend it without fracturing the loop but it is ever so easy to bend just a little too far a break the loop.

I am a Forum User
    As mentioned in slingshot77's post.. depending on what you need / want, . a simple change of the charging handle latch may be all you need.
    I've used a variety of CH latches for better access to chambering scoped AR's. A CH latch swap is much more economical than changing the entire Charging handle.
    something to consider..

MGO Member
    If you can find one of these older Aero designs, it will do exactly that. https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...harging-handle I use it on my rifle with a massive 3-18x scope.