Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Advertise With MGO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 Jam

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Marlin 1894 Jam

I inherited a marlin 1894 built in the late 70s. It has the dreaded Marlin Jam. Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Detroit Metro area?

You don't need a gunsmith to fix that. You can fix it yourself in about 30 minutes, without spending all the time with disassembly/reassembly (about $100 at a smith before you even start to address the carrier or the lever)
    Which 1894 model? What caliber and bullet profile are you getting the "letting 2 in" jam with?

Sorry I didn't answer your question about a gunsmith in the metro area - it just isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fbdive1r View Post
    I inherited a marlin 1894 built in the late 70s. It has the dreaded Marlin Jam. Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Detroit Metro area?
    No suggestions on gunsmith, but here is a DIY video...

https://youtu.be/0CK_Hf-OJWo?si=VTsYkTRTQIf2qR5U
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    If you don't want to tackle a fix yourself, give Doug Jones a call...248- 852-6490
    He's in Rochester hills, near M-59 & Crooks rd.
    2271 Star Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309

not certain, but don't think Doug will charge $100 for a repair, his prices are very reasonable.. ( ask him)

Marketplace Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    If you don't want to tackle a fix yourself, give Doug Jones a call...248- 852-6490
    He's in Rochester hills, near M-59 & Crooks rd.
    2271 Star Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309

not certain, but don't think Doug will charge $100 for a repair, his prices are very reasonable.. ( ask him)
    This

Thank you Master Chief and others for the advice. I may try to fix it myself and I’m grateful for a good gunsmith referral.

One quick FREE check before anything else...the forward screw in the trigger plate (in front of lever, barrel end) CAN work itself loose while shooting, if it wasn't fully tightened last time you cleaned it it WILL back out a small bit.
    As little as ~35° loose (that's less than 1/8 of a turn) can cause the "Marlin jam". That equates to roughly 0.025" offset on the snail cam upward travel which affects carrier timing.
    They are lever actions after all with fairly loose machining tolerances...don't gorilla fist them, but make them firm "tool tight".

Good luck! If you do decide to tackle it yourself, just make a new post in the DIY gunsmith section and we can help you out. There is a ton of knowledge here.
    I've never heard anything negative about the smith recommended, so you've already got that in your pocket too.

.025” is getting close to RCH dimensions. Thank you for the advice sir

Ha! Everyone knows an RCH has two leading zeros - 0.0025 -, but it is finer than BCH - 0.0050. Mediterranean dimensions (BFCH) only have one - 0.025.

UPDATE - I think the root cause was loose screw forward of trigger plate. I tightened it about 1 full turn. Haven’t taken it to range to confirm yet however it is cycling correctly in my basement. I had the muzzle in a safe direction and finger off trigger but I hate cycling any gun with live ammo. Especially a lever. Thanks for the useful advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast