Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Advertise With MGO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger job

MGO Member

Trigger job

I have a Ruger Red Hawk desperately in need of a trigger job. Has anyone used Magnaport for this or any recommendations?

Marketplace Moderator
    Doug Jones, Gunsmith in Rochester Hills does excellent work at very fair prices. He is my go to gunsmith for most everything.

I am a Forum User
    As above..Doug's been my go-to for quite a few years. He has done several triggers for me & I was very satisfied with his work.
    Did a trigger on an AR for me, & I've since bought several brands of "drop-in" triggers, and consider the one Doug did as my favorite.
    His cost for my AR trigger was lower than any of the drop In's I've tried, which would include at least a half dozen different brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jlgsailor View Post
    I have a Ruger Red Hawk desperately in need of a trigger job. Has anyone used Magnaport for this or any recommendations?
    They do a good job on Pistols. (Magnaport).

What's the reason? Better DA? or over all? Just asking.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Account Closed Forum User
    Magnaport, doing revolver work and muzzle porting was their bread n butter, when Larry Kelly first stated out. He was a very big handgun hunter and has taken most big game around the world with a Revolver handgun. They were hanging in the lobby, in the past.

Polish Trigger and Hammer $65.00

https://magnaport.com/misc.html

Had a trigger job and magnaport done on a Super Blackhawk by magnaport back in the 90’s
    Did a good job
    Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
    " NRA for Life "

I am a Forum User
    Had " Mark" off Executive Dr work on my 1187 after his employment at Clinton River Gunsmith next to the " Rec Bowl", ported and back bored the barrel. I did the trigger

Rugers are a very easy DIY project. Just sayin'...
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    " Rugers are a very easy DIY project. "

Read this & remember noticing in the past (on more than 1 gunsmith's fee schedule ) that there is a higher charge
    to perform a trigger job on a Ruger than what is charged for a S&W or Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    " Rugers are a very easy DIY project. "

Read this & remember noticing in the past (on more than 1 gunsmith's fee schedule ) that there is a higher charge
    to perform a trigger job on a Ruger than what is charged for a S&W or Colt.
    I think the Ruger trigger takes more time... a lot of small surface polishing. But, a set of springs, some patience, and a lot of careful polishing of contact surfaces and you end up with an excellent trigger.

I did a couple of GP100's for myself, a Redhawk for a co-worker, and an SP101 for a young lady friend. She took her gun to a couple classes and I ended up being asked to do triggers for a couple police officers from that same class.
    Ruger is a simple design, but a lot of contact surfaces that require polishing.
    S&W is a simpler design, more refined right out of the box, less labor intensive, but requires more skill (easy to jack up the sear if you are ham fisted) and a couple specialized tools. I don't think you can ever get a truly great trigger on a Ruger, but you can get light and smooth. The S&W in skilled hands becomes amazing.

Just the non-professional opinions of a garage hack, and worth exactly what ya paid for 'em!
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast