Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Target Shooting on Personal Land

Ok, this may be a stupid question and I have tried to find the answer through Google and Bing but I can't find anything definitive.

What are the laws concerning target shooting on my private property?
    Is there an Acreage limit?
    Do I need to get permits?
    I have 2.0 acres on a lake and have plenty of room to do some target shooting without jeopardizing neighbors, etc.
    Even though I can see my neighbors houses next to me I am sure that I could set up something that would send any richocets(if there are any) over the lake.

I have heard duck/geese hunters shooting out on my lake and this got me to thinking that I should be able to set up some targets in my yard and do some practicing.

Should I go around and ask if any of my neighbors object?

I am a Forum User
    ya if you wanna shoot and you live in the country then you need to be at least 450 feet from an occupiable dwelling. or have your neighbors permission.
    none of my neighbors bitch but i try to keep the backyard for the 22's. and save the big guns for the sand pit most of the time.

Account Closed Forum User
    And I'd suggest a substantial berm.

Tires stacked, posted in place, dirt covered to make a hill with grass growing works well. Oh, and before you stack your tires, dig a small hollow and lay a good quality tarp down. That way if you ever leave (move), lead abatement shouldn't be as big of a problem, as it's contained above the tarp.

I am a Forum User
    Top of page 27 of the "09" hunting and trapping guide, Safety Zones Around Buildings say's The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, TARGET SHOOTING, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any NON-HUNTING
    purpose.

I am a Forum User

Smile Target shooting on Personal Land

Sir, it maybe obvious, but I would definately check on local laws at the local police department. Who knows maybe they will join ya on the firing line.

I am a Forum User
    I'd say it depends on how close you are to denser populations,city ordinances, and neighbors who don't b**ch...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_robi
    ya if you wanna shoot and you live in the country then you need to be at least 450 feet from an occupiable dwelling. or have your neighbors permission.
    none of my neighbors bitch but i try to keep the backyard for the 22's. and save the big guns for the sand pit most of the time.
    That is the law in my county (500ft from a dwelling).

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball 57
    Sir, it maybe obvious, but I would definately check on local laws at the local police department. Who knows maybe they will join ya on the firing line.
    Good advice. State preemption laws prevent local municipalities from passing ordinances regarding transport, purchase, possession but still allows for the passage of laws involving the discharge of firearms.

Carry on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_robi
    Joe: That is not accurate.

The 450' safety zone applies ONLY to hunting, not target shooting.

Local municipalities might have different ordinances but state law does not address target shooting. Heck, sometimes I bench right out the kitchen window....

I am a Forum User
    That's kind of what I posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast