Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Cleaning Rifles, and hand gun with Alcohol

I have a ready supply of alcohol swabs can I clean my rifle and hand guns with them, including the barrel?

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVere
    I have a ready supply of alcohol swabs can I clean my rifle and hand guns with them, including the barrel?
    Cleaning guns with alcohol will remove all oils from the gun making it awesome place for rust to live. If you clean with alcohol, make sure you oil everything down right after.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, keep in mind though that the "gun" cleaners are designed for just that alcohol is not, it will remove the gun powder residue but it might have a hard time with the lead and copper, not saying it will not, never tried it myself. Try it and then go back with your normal cleaners see if you get any left over residue's, that would be the only way to know for sure.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasher
    Yes, keep in mind though that the "gun" cleaners are designed for just that alcohol is not, it will remove the gun powder residue but it might have a hard time with the lead and copper, not saying it will not, never tried it myself. Try it and then go back with your normal cleaners see if you get any left over residue's, that would be the only way to know for sure.
    Thanks for the info

I remember in basic training I hardly ever had enough cleaning patches for my M16. I always used the readily available anti-bacterial alcohol patches to clean my barrel and parts. It was fairly effective, just make sure you dry it out and oil it afterwards. It's not as good as patches with a good oil or solvent, but it never hurt anything.

I am a Forum User

Routine practice ml/bp

Lot of black powder guys clean with Isopropyl alcohol. I've tried it and did
    not find it better nor worse that hot soapy water.

Gotta oil your piece for sure with alcohol cleaning.

Most swabs are only 70% alcohol and the rest water. It`s like using your supply of cheap wiskey ya save for your buddies when they visit on them. There is also the remaining 30% water that you have to be sure is removed.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Do be aware that alcohol will damage shellac wood finishes. Not used much today, but seen on older guns.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2571
    Lot of black powder guys clean with Isopropyl alcohol. I've tried it and did
    not find it better nor worse that hot soapy water.

Gotta oil your piece for sure with alcohol cleaning.
    Yep I just use water for my smoke pole most of the time. If it gets really fouled from copper I will use a cleaner for that purpose but if its only fired a couple time say during deer season nothing but water the a good coat of bore butter before storing.

For all my other firearms Im old school.... I still like the smell of hoppes #9

I am a Forum User
    Here I thought everyone cleaned their Aks and Mosin Nagants with vodka.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast