Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Glad to see first of all he wasnt hurt. He did the best he could and that is always one of my fears is that I will lose count of rounds. But that is again why i carry a back up mag, so even if its not out, but I fear that I am low, pop a new mag in.

Again great post
    Jim Vanas - Broker Legacy Real Estate
    JVanas@LegacySellsMI.com
    www.JimVanas.com
    Your Waterfront & Recreational Property Expert

I am a Forum User
    “Mission drives the gear” The five shot revolver will always have a nitch in an armed defense, although I believe Mr. Fixler was under gunned for his profession. There are MANY pros to these small revolvers such as ability to shoot through clothing in a coat pocket and not jam, easily concealable, ease of use; does not require very fine motor skills or hours of extensive training to operate. The major weakness to the platform is its 5 shots, which with a speed loader or speed strip can be loaded effectively (will take time to get good at). Although time is lost on the reload when compared to a semi auto the ease of operating a revolver makes up for that for “some people “.Time and time again I have seen people sold pistols they will never learn how to fully operate when they would have been much better getting a 5 shot 38spl revolver. What won this fight was Mr. Fixlers attitude and instinct to fight…I love to see Old Marines kick ass (someone who was in the Air Force might have played dead or something). Because of his job he might want to think about upgrading to something with more capacity and a nice CPL rig so he can carry on his person.

I am a Forum User
    First off, great video! Way to not be a victim! Secondly, there were a few things that confused me. From his commentary, it sounded like he unloaded all of his rounds before the guys bolted for the door. In that case, when was the guy in white hit?

It says he was paralyzed from the waist down and died 3 YEARS LATER from his injuries. I was expecting maybe 3 hours or 3 days, but 3 YEARS!?!?! Holy crap that is a long time.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TFin04
    Also a good example for those who claim 5 shots will be plenty. Get over yourselves.
    Looks like 5 shots was plenty.

Great video. As a store owner, especially a jewelry store, this man should have had a gun on his person, any gun. And others stashed throughout the shop, and yes, a shotgun as well.

the 5 were not enough 4 missed 1 hit there mark 5 shot guns have there place as a primary in some situations they do not belong

I am a Forum User
    How were they not enough? The perps are dead or jailed, and the shop owner is alive and well. Even with 4 of 5 missed shots!

Primary, backup, whatever. The point is, be armed and ready for anything.
    And not shooting off in the air wildly is a pretty good idea too. I realize this is a high stress situation and panic is common, but to me, a trained shooter with a 5 shot defensive weapon is a force to be reckoned with.

If he had a 20 shot auto but shot 18 into the ceiling, how does that help him?

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .44Smith&Wesson
    How were they not enough? The perps are dead or jailed, and the shop owner is alive and well. Even with 4 of 5 missed shots!

Primary, backup, whatever. The point is, be armed and ready for anything.
    And not shooting off in the air wildly is a pretty good idea too. I realize this is a high stress situation and panic is common, but to me, a trained shooter with a 5 shot defensive weapon is a force to be reckoned with.

If he had a 20 shot auto but shot 18 into the ceiling, how does that help him?
    I dont think anyone is sayin that by the grace of god it wasnt enough in this situation.

But it does put in to prospective how it was barely enough. what if there was 1 more guy? what if that one shot wasnt effective? What if he missed the 5th shot?

There are a lot of variables that could have come in to play that would have screwed this guy. luckily it went in his favor.

Can you imagine this happening he goes down on the 5th shot and all is well...Then his buddy busts in from outside where he was watching for the cops, and starts shooting at you while your holding an empty gun. very real...very possible.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrainingTeamCPL
    I dont think anyone is sayin that by the grace of god it wasnt enough in this situation.

But it does put in to prospective how it was barely enough. what if there was 1 more guy? what if that one shot wasnt effective? What if he missed the 5th shot?

There are a lot of variables that could have come in to play that would have screwed this guy. luckily it went in his favor.

Can you imagine this happening he goes down on the 5th shot and all is well...Then his buddy busts in from outside where he was watching for the cops, and starts shooting at you while your holding an empty gun. very real...very possible.
    I do agree he had luck/grace on his side.

The what if game can be played all day long. 1 more guy, ineffective shot placement, additional shooters, ect. ect.

So please, tell me, how many would be enough? 15? What if he missed with 12, placed 2 bad shots, and another shooter walked in? Then what?

You guys say over and over that caliber does'nt matter, it is shot placement above all else, and I agree 100%. But by the same logic, if 9 or .45 is the same than why is 5 shots not enough? Put the shots on target, and 2 is more than enough. Hit the wall with 15, and 16 will not be enough.

key wording A trained shooter with a 5 shot revolver how many are there out there? definied trained i have yet to see a trained wheel gun guy in class perform well.

ok let see......he got a lucky spine shot that killed a guy 3 years later..
    he was lucky the first bad guy with the gun wasnt determined to kill him. he was lucky that the guy while down didnt have the mindset to pick the gun up he was laying on and kill him with it while he had an empty gun
    he was lucky that they left

he is lucky it didnt become a shoot out...

that being said there are better tools for the job but are there better users whom can do the same with lesser tools not that i have seen in years of schools and training and teaching. not saying they arent there but i have yet to see one.

on that note better to be lucky than dead how do you miss at at bad breath distance. .........real easy there are those that practice then there are those that train.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .44Smith&Wesson
    I do agree he had luck/grace on his side.

The what if game can be played all day long. 1 more guy, ineffective shot placement, additional shooters, ect. ect.

So please, tell me, how many would be enough? 15? What if he missed with 12, placed 2 bad shots, and another shooter walked in? Then what?

You guys say over and over that caliber does'nt matter, it is shot placement above all else, and I agree 100%. But by the same logic, if 9 or .45 is the same than why is 5 shots not enough? Put the shots on target, and 2 is more than enough. Hit the wall with 15, and 16 will not be enough.
    Thats the thing, you dont know...ever. Id rather prepared than just carrying to feel safe.

I carry a G17 with 2 extra mags. Will I need 52 rounds? maybe maybe not. Do i understand that in a high stress situation that it is very possible I may miss? absolutely. Will I know if there will be more than one? No, thats why I feel 5 shots is grossly inadequate even for those fully trained.

what if there is only one guy and i get off one shot and my magazine fails? Now i started with 17 and now im down to zero.

So in my view an extra mag is a must.

yes you can play the what ifs all day long, stop by and we'll go over them and have a beer.

But, the fact remains you can still be more prepared than 5 shots.

That being said it does come down to training. even with 17 shots if you cant hit **** than there no good. But how many people of the 200,000 some odd CPL holders actually go seek further training? not many.

The fact of the matter is you can train all day every day, carry what ever you want and one luck shot from the bad guy ends your happy day. So why not try to tip the scale in your favor as much as you can?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast