Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: .233 & 5.56

MGO Member

.233 & 5.56

can someone inform me about a bullet. is it the same ..223 and 5.56 can these be used in military firarms and everyday firarms I overheard someone talking about this and can"t remember thanks in advance

Banned
    You didn't say what kind of gun you own, but assuming you have an AR15 type variant, look on the side of the lower receiver of your gun, just above the magwell. If it says "5.56" or "Multi-Caliber", then you can use either 5.56 or .223 with no problem.

If it just says ".223", then you can't (or at least you're not supposed to) use military 5.56 rounds.

As far as a Ruger Mini or other non-AR rifles are concerned, I'll let other folks speak up about it.
    Last edited by Buzzcat; 01-25-2010 at 06:27 PM.

I am a Forum User
    best recommendation is to fire what is stamped on the barrel or reciever period. Having said that, yes if you have a weapon chambered in 5.56 nato you can fire .223 in it (might not hit crap). If you have a weapon chambered in .223 however you cannot fire 5.56...the 5.56 nato is much hotter and can cause higher chamber pressures than some are designed for.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcat
    You didn't say what kind of gun you own, but assuming you have an AR15 type variant, look on the side of the lower receiver of your gun, just above the magwell. If it says "5.56" or "Multi-Caliber", then you can use either 5.56 or .223 with no problem.

If it just says ".223", then you can't (or at least you're not supposed to) use military 5.56 rounds.

As far as a Ruger Mini or other non-AR rifles are concerned, I'll let other folks speak up about it.
    The caliber printed on the lower means nothing. It can say 'Plasma Rifle 40w' and it doesn't matter.

Look on the barrel to find the caliber. You'll still find that some people claim 5.56 chambers but provide .223 (and even vice versa).

The 5.55 is hotter than the .223, however dimensionally, the ammo is the same. The chambers are a different story. The 5.56 chamber is slightly larger than the .223, this is done to aid in reliability. Spent cases fired from the 5.56 will be longer than the ones fired from a .223, so a reloaded 5.56 case wont fit a .223 chamber. A reloaded .223 case will still fit a 5.56 chamber, however. Also, the tighter .223 chamber usually proves to be more accurate.
    Our founding fathers, in their infinite wisdom, had the foresight to put America on the opposite side of the globe from everyone else.

I thank them for it.

MGO Member
    thanks for the response mgo members your the greatest