Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Radio Communications In a major Situation

I'm trying to find some suggestions on communication in a so called "shtf situation". For example if cell phone and land line communications are down and I need to stay in touch with a small group for about 5 miles (regardless of terrain) what are my best mobile options? I see the grms radios that advertise 30+ miles but that would be if you were both on top of mountains. I have also looked into CD, vhf, uhf and am just unsure of what would be the best route to go. Does anyone have any suggestions, our examples of what they have set aside for this type of situation?

Motorolla talkabouts for up to one mile, CB for 5 miles or less, HAM for long range.

I am a Forum User
    I have heard that CB is limited to 2 watts, any idea on this? And would I get 5 miles of dense forest or 5 miles of fields....I guess not dense forest just your average Michigan Woods...

I am a Forum User
    I don't like talkabouts for survival/shtf situations for a couple of reasons,

1. they use batteries, your proximation to replacement batteries always varies inversely to your need at the time.
    2. the distance is horrible, barely 1 mile in moderate woods. The 30 mi grms have to be registered with fcc, and its a hassle.

if you wanted to communitcate with a fixed point, neighbors, family etc that lived reasonable distance (up to a mile) i would suggest ta 312's in a heartbeat. They are wired which is a hassle but totally secure and generate their own electricty to work (KISS). CB or ham would be better choice for moderate to long distances

I am a Forum User
    A "VHF" marine radio would cover 5 miles. Under your senerio, I would go with that. I have a hand held CB that takes 9 batteries but 5 miles would be a stretch.

CB is limited to 4 watts. Mobile hams ~ 75 watts. But you have to become an licensed ham operator to use it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 7iron
    A "VHF" marine radio would cover 5 miles. Under your senerio, I would go with that.
    Illegal -- only for marine usage. Wouldn't give you 5 mile range 'regardless of terrain' anyway. Marine VHF is line-of-sight, like all VHF/UHF. Toledo Kid will chime in here and say you could bounce VHF signals off the moon or repeat thru a satellite, but I think that's beyond the scope of this discussion, isn't it?
    Last edited by enfield; 01-29-2010 at 08:26 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterhino
    CB is limited to 4 watts. Mobile hams ~ 75 watts. But you have to become an licensed ham operator to use it.
    Ham - 1500 watts max input mobile or fixed.

Offhand, I don't know of any radio that will give you reliable communications at 5 miles regardless of terrain -- unless you're using a repeater that's in a really good location.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield
    Illegal -- only for marine usage.

He asked about a "shtf situation". In that situation laws from the FCC and many others, go right out the window IMHO

I am a Forum User

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast